This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Heart Rate measurements brutally inaccurate during work outs

I'm not sure which update did it, but for the last 2 weeks I've noticed that heart rate measurements while I'm working out are terribly inaccurate. After my first circuit when I know my heart rate is 140-150 the watch will tell me it's 80-90. My heart rate after my warm up before I even start a circuit was showing 114... so it went DOWN after I started working out? I've found that the HR accuracy bounces from good to bad to good again often with software updates, but this is the worse I've ever seen it. Anyone else seeing this? Garmin can you fix this? PLEASE?

• Yes, since last update heart rate measuremens sucks!

• I contacted Garmin for my VA3 Music and they suggested a hard reset ( 30 secs pressing the key). I am going to try it next week to see if it solves it, however i experience it once every 4-6 trainings so it will take a while to see results.

• Got similar problems but in every days life. If I stay completly frozen the HR sensor give me an exact reading, but when I move my arm a little (washing hands, moving arm to take something, ecc) the hr go up to 110 130 messing up the total calories count of the day (Some day ends with around +500kcal). The only solution is to disable hr monitoring while i'm not doing exercises...

• Well, after my hard reset the first crosstrainer session was with wrong heartrate, so nope, does not help

• I raised the issue with Garmin Support and they make a case for it. They suggested that others should also do this, you can use the chat interface on their support site and they ask permission to see your data so they can collect the evidence. I would suggest other reporters to do so as well to get more priority on a fix. 

• This is what we are going to do? to wait for the next fix??

I bought a 300$ sports watch that does not get my HR accurate and I have to wait for the next fix?!? (which God knows when it will come when they have the VA4 now).

That's really sucks.

• Well, you bought a flexible device with software updates and apps ;-) Like any product I buy these days there are some fixes because there was no time to fully test the basic product, my phone, pc, printer, tv, etc all have some software releases that fixes stuff. 

• What kind of workout are you doing? I had that since the beginning, but I am doing rowing. Whenever you are doing a very arm-active workout and your watch maybe is a little loose it doesn't work well. I thought till now and many people also reported on that. If it is only software, then it is good news to me :)

• Crosstraining. But I keep the same tightness every time and even when I do 2 sessions it is only the first session that shows the problem. Today I saw the issue, ended the activity, switched to the heart rate widget, started the activity again and lo and behold, it worked correct. Al without changing the strap. I notice that during an activity the sensor switches to another mode since the lights are on full instead of flickering. Perhaps there is something in the software that only works the second time around, no clue, but I noticed the issue after 4.9 (VA3 music) and only once on 4.5 when I probably had the issue with the strap since I had it only a few weeks. Oh, I switch the watch off durng the night, perhaps that is related as well since it seems repeatable on 4.9

For the record, they are investigating and my hope is that it is a software bug. I have the impression that it is related to the 4.9 update and so I might have jumped to conclusions. 

• Noooo... it's like you bought a new iPhone that has a great look but it won't make calls out. but "don't worry, they'll fix it next update"....

two days ago I rode my bike, for almost two hours (two hours!!!) the watch didn't come up with the correct HR. I almost threw it there. THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!

And I see here many many customers suffer the same issue (and many other things as well). how can you be so patient for the next release??