This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Wrong reports about altitude in Garmin Connect

Today, I climbed col des Aravis in the Alps on bike and using my VA3M  to record the run.

The pass altitude is officially 1486 m.

Without altitude correction, Garmin Connect reports it at 1413 m  (i.e. 73 m lower). The minimum altitude of my run was 860 m.

With correction, it is reported at 1490 m. The minimum altitude of my run was 910  m.

If we consider that the watch altimeter error today (rainy conditions) was 50 m, I won't debate about the 23 m that are still missing.

But, I do have an issue with GC reports when we activate the altitude correction:

• Without correction, the reported altitude gain is 800 m, which is rather correct because  on my way back from the Aravis, I also climbed another hill.
  • But, with altitude correction activated, GC reports an altitude gain of 1556 m, which is completely wrong.
  • The reported aktitude loss is also quite wrong (in altitude correction mode) :1593 m instead of 860 m without correction.

Note - my guess: GC, in altitude correction mode, seems to add the actual (or corrected) altitude gain and altitude loss to form the value that is reported as altitude gain.

-> Can Garmin technicians check the formulas that are used for altitude gain and altitude loss, in altitude correction mode ?