This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Heart rate is completely inaccurate only with specific profiles

The HRM readings on my va3 seem accurate while not in an activity profile, while running, doing weights, etc.

However, when I'm in cardio mode the HRM is completely off. It often reads around half of my actual heart rate. When I change profiles while doing the same exact thing (eg: change from cardio to run profilex or even no exercise profile) suddenly my readings jumps to reasonable values.

It seems like a bug to me. I've tried positioning it differently, tighter, looser, other wrist, on the inside of my wrist, and occasionally I can get it working but it cuts out again with any movement. Whereas I never have this issue in other profiles.

Had anyone experienced similar situations?
  • I believe this has been already commented on in other threads and I think I have seen this issue clarified by certain independent reviewers. From what I remember; it has to do with the algorithm that is being used to get (extrapolate) the heartbeat information from the optical sensors. This actually needs time to figure out your heartbeat and when you are doing cardio/interval training the readings are much less accurate because the heartbeat is changing by too much bpm at a too high read for the algorithm to be able to provide an accurate reading, because it is averaged out. At least that is my understanding of how the optical sensors work in most watches. I tried several ones and they all have comparable issues. So for interval/cardio you better use a chest strap, that is what I figured out (through reading of several reviews).
  • This has been discussed numerous times on every wrist based heart rate sensor forum. The only solution for many activities is a chest strap. The reasons are many & varied.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 5 years ago
    I believe the OP is saying while doing cardio in the cardio app, their HR is low, but when they do the same cardio workout using the running app their HR reads more precise. This too was brought up in another thread. I don't recall if there was a solution and I'm pretty sure it was in the VA3 forum, but I can't say for sure.
  • Tmk17, that's exactly it.

It works perfectly well doing the same exact activities provided I don't use the cardio setting.

Why does the setting completely nerf the hrm? Whatever they did does not work and it would be better to use standard sensing algorithms. Or at least give me the opportunity to select which mode it should work in.

Basically, they selectively ruin the functionality of the hrm for this profile. It's inaccurate because they made it inaccurate.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 5 years ago
    I may be mistaken, but I believe there was an issue for the rowing app also??? Sorry, I don't remember and I'm not much help. Hopefully someone will come across this thread with answers and a solution.
  • ya i mentioned this in another thread somewhere in here, about the bug with the cardio app...
    the heart rate really takes its own sweet time to show actual value...
    no real solution i found, cept for garmin to actually take bugs seriously as they do to so called skin irritation due to strap that only affects like 3%.
  • I can't help but wonder if anyone has access to or can Crack the source code to use the regular algorithm during cardio. And to at least give the opinion of enabling the hrm during pool swim, cause why not.
  • Tmk17, that's exactly it.

It works perfectly well doing the same exact activities provided I don't use the cardio setting.

Why does the setting completely nerf the hrm? Whatever they did does not work and it would be better to use standard sensing algorithms. Or at least give me the opportunity to select which mode it should work in.

Basically, they selectively ruin the functionality of the hrm for this profile. It's inaccurate because they made it inaccurate.

Hello,

same experience here. It seems to me that when doing exercises that have more movement the cardio profile records the HR correctly (e.g. running as warm up), while more static exercises (e.g. sit-up, etc...) it doesn't. I will check next week if using the indoor track profile for my cardio exercises records it correctly and if it is helpful. Otherwise I would try to create a new activity, but have never tried it.
  • Ive been using stationary cycling with more realistic results. Still irritates me.
  • well, I used cardio app on treadmill...
    it detected it as 'yoga', while the heart rate took a few mins to register close to what it should be.