This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can't delete playlists - Help!

Former Member
Former Member
Whether I delete a playlist through Garmin Express or even through Windows (explorer, etc.), they do not delete from the watch. They will no longer show in Garmin Express but when I go to playlists in the watch, they still show up. Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone else run into this?
  • Whether I delete a playlist through Garmin Express or even through Windows (explorer, etc.), they do not delete from the watch. They will no longer show in Garmin Express but when I go to playlists in the watch, they still show up. Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone else run into this?

Something similar happened to me a few days ago when a music sync terminated with some kind of error. I fixed it using Windows explorer (I know you tried it, but try again), going on the watch, primary, music,... Try it without opening Garmin Express, which might mess with the connection. Also, try turning off and back on the watch. I am sorry, but I remember having the problem, and the things I did to fix it, but not which one worked. If all of this stil does not work, delete the whole Music folder on the watch and put your music back on.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 5 years ago
    Thank you for the suggestions. I tried everything you mentioned. Even with the entire music directory deleted, it still shows the playlists when I go to the music function on the watch. Only now if I click on the "ghost" playlists, it shows no songs. The playlist names must be stored somewhere on the watch and they just aren't being removed. Craziest thing. I'm really not wanting to reset the entire watch and lose my data.
  • Did you try a restart of the watch?
    Or a softreset - pressing the button as long as the watch starts new.
  • Former Member
    +1 Former Member over 5 years ago
    Tried that too. They were still there. I ended up having to do a hard reset and completely wipe it. What a pain. Thank you everyone for all the suggestions.
  • This thread was really helpful for me because I had the same issues with deleting playlists as well. I had to do a hard reset and re-enter all my info. I'm wondering if some music software isn't compatible with garmin express, and this is why it is happening to some of us. I'm using media monkey, and I'm wondering what other people are using, who are having success with adding/deleting playlists...

TIA
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 5 years ago
    I was using windows explorer to create, move, and delete my playlists and music. Garmin Express was giving me errors every time I tried to do anything regarding music and playlists.
  • I have the same problem.
    The playlists must be somewhere on the watch, hidden in any folder or file.
    The big question is where?

Only GARMIN support can help here.

• I had been trying to do this for a while but after a few runs at it, I was able to delete music off my VA4 properly.
    This is the process which worked for me in the end, although I think I got lucky.
    I wear the watch with the two buttons facing to the right if i am looking at the screen
    Using Garmin express, deleted all the music off the watch. Once this was done went back to the main garmin express screen and sync'ed.
    I then fully closed garmin express, opened Android File Transfer and made sure the music was deleted.
    I ejected the watch, saw that there was still "ghosts" of my files on there so tried to do a soft re-start by holding the top button until the menu screen on the watch appeared then hit the power symbol.
    Once the watch had been Off/black screen for 10 seconds, i then held the top button again probably too long accidentally and the watch ran through a series of testing screens I.e testing GPS, Wifi signal, display colours, Battery function.
    I scrolled through these using the top button again, until a screen prompted me that to hold the power button (top button) to end the test screens.
    The watch screen turned off, then after 5/10 seconds of black screen, i held the top button again but only until I saw the Garmin symbol. 
    After the watch seemed to have re-booted, It was back to normal with all my data still stored, but no music.
    I was then able to transfer new music and do what I needed to do. 
    Hope this helps someone