This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Swimming does not count towards intensity minutes

In firmware 3.3, the time spent in swimming does not count towards intensity minutes. Is this because the heart rate monitor is now disabled, it doesn't know how hard you are working out. Have you guys noticed the same?
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 6 years ago
    The HR recording during swimming was actually a bug which was corrected with 3,30. Since it was recording, you were given credit for intensity minutes in the past. There is a data field called Trimp Meter which you can use that records your RPE. I personally believe this is a better way to evaluate how hard your workout is then using Garmin's intensity minutes calculations.

Update: Never mind. I don't know what I was thinking. You can't use that data field without the HR being turned on. You can use it for other activities if you choose.
  • We should complain to Garmin about this. Whether or not oHR being recorded during swims was a bug, it really did not hurt the battery life and served a useful purpose.

As OP mentions, the oHR allowed for calculating intensity minutes.

I really wish Garmin had actually expanded on the oHR during swims and gave us a bar graph.
  • The OHR sensor staying on during swim activities was a bug that was resolved with the 3.30 software update. Also, intensity minutes are not calculated for time spent swimming. This is currently working as designed but this feedback will be passed along. I cannot guarantee that any future updates will add this but your input is appreciated.

• So, let me get this straight --
    1. Garmin "resolved" a pool swim sw bug that did not bother anyone (and from what I see on these forums, people who swam actually liked)
    and
    2. Garmin "did not resolve" the KNOWN issue of pool swim bug involving the inadvertently scrolling through menus due to false swipes (happens when watch alert activates during activity).

Priorities???
  • Former Member
    I don't know if bother would be the correct word, but I personally know of 3 people who didn't want the HR readings during swimming. They didn't find the numbers accurate and their take was no data is better than bad data. You may have found the data you had recorded as beneficial, but it's not as if everyone does. I'm certain Garmin (and other companies) have tested the oHRM while swimming with many devices prior to and including the VA3 and has determined the data to be unreliable or it would be included. What would be great is if Garmin would allow the user to choose if they want oHRM recording during swimming. I think they could provide a disclaimer as to avoid issues with people saying the watch isn't performing as described for those that find the oHRM inaccurate in this case.
  • The sad part is, even if you spend some extra money for an external heart monitor device like HRM-Tri, VA3 is not supported. I wonder if this is a hardware limitation or Garmin way of doing business. I tend to guess the later.
  • Former Member
    I don't know if it's a hardware limitation either. If it isn't, and it is the latter, it makes perfect business sense in general. It's nothing Garmin is doing in particular.
  • Hi
    I’m really sad about the fact, that Garmin has chosen to stop supporting the oHRM during swim activities. I understand that the data is unreliable. And to be honest my complaint isn’t about the lack of HR recording but that my swimming is no longer logged as intensity minutes. Even recording a simple walk will count towards IM. At least give me a 1:1 intensity minutes. For every minute of swimming one IM registered.
    Swimming is one of the best activities you can do and it isn’t recognized at all. That is very disappointing.
  • Former Member
    I understand that, but in long run does not getting intensity minutes for swimming anymore change anything? You're still going to train the same way. Did you train differently before having a device that tracked intensity minutes? It's just a number on a graph. I've heard people say it motivates them. OK, but does one need a number that Garmin determines to motivate?
  • I totally see your point. But following that logic I should just stop wearing a watch all together. The point of using something like the VA 3 or any other fitness / activity tracker is to log your activity....
    Anyway - I think they should get rid of IM all together and replace it with some sort of system where you get points for all your activities- based on intensity, time etc.
    That way I could compete against my friends who do CrossFit while I like to swim, run and hike.
    That would be awesome IMHO