This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Vivoactive 3 no text notifications

Former Member
Former Member
I have issue with no text notification from all apps (e.g. WhatsApp, sms/iMessage, Facebook etc) on my iPhone SE with last iOS 11.2.6. I use Garmin connect App for sync. (Vivoactive 3 with last firmware 3.30) Work only receive call notification. Any idea whats going on?
  • Haha, I get notifications from every app other than Messages, which has NEVER worked.
  • When I first got my VA3 I didn't receive text messages, either. I found this slightly annoying, but it wasn't a deal breaker. Then one day I was fiddling with my phone and I saw a notification that said something like "Garmin Connect needs permission to access..." something or other. Can't remember what, exactly. So without much thought I clicked the button that said "Grant access" and then text messages started coming through.

My point is that the problem here might be nothing to do with the VA3, but with the Connect app's interaction with the phone. Different Android versions have slightly different security/permissions models, and this might be why some people have the problem, and some don't. I couldn't describe to anybody what I did to make text messages work for me, because I just chanced upon the solution.
  • Yea, I've deleted and re-added my VA3 to Garmin Connect probably...25 times? No deal. It's so frustrating.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 6 years ago
    Are you using an Android or iOS phone. If it's an Android phone, what message app are you using? I had a similar problem where everything was coming through except text messages and I may be able to help.
  • It's an iPhone, unfortunately. Unfortunate in that I wish it was Android so you could help!
  • I was having the same issues. Mine started out receiving message notifications then it stopped suddenly a few weeks ago but I got it fixed. Somehow my phone turned off the SMS permissions in the app. Go into Garmin Connect app permissions, there are 2 ways to do this:

1. by holding down the app for a few seconds then selecting app info from the pop-up menu
    2. by swiping down on the top of your screen, hitting the settings button that looks like a sprocket, apps and notifications, app info, Garmin Connect app.

Once your in, go to permissions and check whichever boxes you want permissions for. My contacts and my SMS were both turned off.

After I turned those back on I turned my watch off and back on, hold the button on the right for 3-5 seconds and it will bring up an menu with a power button at the top. Hit that then select Yes. If you choose, you can restart the watch, hold the button on the right side of the watch for 10-15 seconds and it will restart. I restarted my phone for good measure also.

Good luck!
  • Snap,! I followed the same process as OUSoonerfan on my LG G5 and it sorted it out for me
  • solved, enabling smart notifications on applications, configuration advanced...
  • I was having a problem with my messages. I just went to the settings in my phone, then to application manager, then to the connect app and allowed smart notifications. It works!