This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Naming a Custom Activity

Is it possible to create a custom activity and give it a name other than what is on the activity list? I know you can enter a manual activity on the Garmin Connect app with a name, but I want one that is on the watch activity menu. TIA
  • I managed to do it a while ago but it resulted in a bug that also removed the original app that was copied. Now I'm unable to make custom activities. If someone finds out I also would like to know. Adding activities from the apps menu only lets me select existing ones.
  • Did anyone figure this out?
  • You can't give it a totally custom name like on the Fenix or 735 all you can do is select from a preselected list of names they offer to you.

So it's not really as useful as it is on other higher end devices but does still allow you to have 2 separate activity profiles for the same thing but with different default data screens.
  • For Crossfit, I created a custom activity called “Train”, copied from “Run”. Problem is, when I sync to Garmin Connect, the activity shows up as “running”. I don’t want these activities mixing up with my actual run data - how can I get the activity to actually sync as something other than “running”. What am I doing wrong with the naming?
  • There's no way to make a truly new activity type where what it saves as initially is different from the activity that you copied and renamed.

Only apps that Garmin provides save to a given activity type so until they develop a Crossfit app there's no setting you can change that will cause a workout done using a profile that you created based on the Run profile to save as anything other than a run. After saving you can change the type by going to the activity and editing it but only to something that's already in the pull down list.

It's frustrating as hell because common things aren't in the list but things like Wingsuit Flying is. It wasn't until when the VA3 came out with a yoga app on it that there was even the ability to change an activity done with the Other activity on my 735 to yoga afterward.
  • Thanks, R_Tellis. I think what frustrates me the most is not that I can't create an activity called "Crossfit", but that when I settle for one of the options offered ("Train"), it still reverts to "Running" when synced. Perhaps I can try creating my Crossfit-specific profile from from a category I don't typically use, such as "Cardio". I initially considered "Strength", but didn't want the rep counting.
  • Thanks, R_Tellis. I think what frustrates me the most is not that I can't create an activity called "Crossfit", but that when I settle for one of the options offered ("Train"), it still reverts to "Running" when synced. Perhaps I can try creating my Crossfit-specific profile from from a category I don't typically use, such as "Cardio". I initially considered "Strength", but didn't want the rep counting.

Cardio is exactly what I use for crossfit.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 6 years ago
    There's an app in the IQ store called "Any Activity" that would solve this issue. There currently isn't an activity in the app titled crossfit, but there's one named multi sport. Just looking at the extensive list of activities available, I would think the dev would add crossfit if you request it.
  • There's an app in the IQ store called "Any Activity" that would solve this issue.

Thanks! I've downloaded this app and look forward to trying it out this afternoon!