This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to install a language pack?

Hi, I recently noticed Garmin seems to release a new language pack for Chinese. I tried to install it via Garmin Express, Utilities -> Optional Updates -> Language Files. But I couldn't find this update. Does anyone know how should I install this?

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=12809

Thanks.
  • This update is probably for the APAC variant. Where did you buy your watch?
  • This update is probably for the APAC variant. Where did you buy your watch?

I think I got a US version. At least I bought it in US. So there is no way to display Chinese notifications on non-APAC versions?
  • Not sure. I guess not.

Thanks! That's quite disappointing. I never had this problem on my previous smart watches/fitness bands...
  • my fenix 6 is APAC version, but unable to display chinese for notification and call also

• No. I also contacted Garmin how can I install the Hungarian language files on my watch, but it turned out my version is made for the west EU market, and the Hungarian language is in the east EU variant and I cannot install a language that isn't supported by the watch originally.

• I got my wife’s watch in US and theres only English, Spanish and Franch... No Portuguese :/

• shame for garmin marketing strategy

it will be my last garmin watch

• I just bought a Vivoactive 4 in Japan and had not assumed that the language setting is limited to just two languages (in my case Japanese and English). Would like to have German too.  I hope Garmin has Data Analytics (to review these forums) in place and will be noticed that customer would expect multi language packages -should be a standard for such smart watches.

• To clarify, the watches have regions where a subset of the languages are supported. These are in the \GARMIN\TEXT directory and have extention .ln3. If you add a file it will not be picked up by the watch since it only shows what it supports (which typically excludes english since it seems to be built-in). You can replace a language that you do not use by replacing the .ln3 file with the same name but the content for another language. In case of the watch with only japanese, you can try to add the German .ln3, but it probably fails to detect that, you can however rename the German file to the same name as the japanese and it will switch to German when selecting Japanese. Hope that clarifies things.