This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

VA3 stuck in a boot loop (Garmin logo) - How to reset to factory - HELP!

Hi all,

After reseting to watch defaults / factory (using the watch menu) I then reconnected my watch on GarminExpress via USB and Synced (resintall app, watch face etc). Once the Sync was completed, I disconnect the watch.
The watch restart (no gear nor progression bar) and is now forever stuck in a boot loop (Garmin Logo only + Vibration every 20 sec (as if it can't complete the boot process so it keeps re-trying to start until the battery dies).

I tried to switch off (15 sec press) and then connect to USB to let it restart doesn't fix it... still boot loop... My PC tells me that the USB device is not recognised and could not connect.
Garmin Express doesn't see the watch and adding a new device doesn't find it.

For info, the apps / widget / datafield I installed were:
- Hike2 (app)
- Heart Rate Zones Chart (data field)
- GGain (watch Face)
- JMG-WGT Zone HR (Widget)

How can I reset the watch with only the watch itself ???
Is there a magic button "hold" / screen touch / side swipe touch formula which will force the watch to completely reset???
Please help...

Support suggested to return the watch to the retailer under warranty... the VA3 slate is out of stock, 4 weeks delay!!!
Also, I am concerned that if this happened while out of warranty, I just wasted £300.00! (a bit of a big gamble in that case, with the constant fear of what if this were to happen again)!

Please HELP... Garmin techies, please?

Tony.
  • Same problem, after a sinc of stretch app which blocked, my va3 is stuck on boot loop. How to do a master reset on Va3????
  • I will assume that you have already try to start it while connected via USB?
    https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into-sports/health-fitness/vivoactive-3-aa/1275648-stuck-on-garmin-logo-screen

if yes, then ... Long answer short! you can't! (sorry)
    For me I had to exchange it for a new one...
    Support couldn't tell me how to force reset when the watch is not booted! (Stuck on Garmin blue triangle)...
    My biggest concerned is that this may well be OK when the device is still under warranty (other than the fact that you have to wait for the replacement)...
    But what if this were to happen once the watch is no longer under warranty !!! waste of £300.00 ???
    finger crossed, so far the new one behaves perfectly, as expected...
    I am fearing the next firmware update... what if it bricks my watch once again?
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 6 years ago
    I will assume that you have already try to start it while connected via USB?
    https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into-sports/health-fitness/vivoactive-3-aa/1275648-stuck-on-garmin-logo-screen

if yes, then ... Long answer short! you can't! (sorry)
    For me I had to exchange it for a new one...
    Support couldn't tell me how to force reset when the watch is not booted! (Stuck on Garmin blue triangle)...
    My biggest concerned is that this may well be OK when the device is still under warranty (other than the fact that you have to wait for the replacement)...
    But what if this were to happen once the watch is no longer under warranty !!! waste of £300.00 ???
    finger crossed, so far the new one behaves perfectly, as expected...
    I am fearing the next firmware update... what if it bricks my watch once again?

That goes for anything you buy and the warranty has expired. Based on the amount of people who experienced this problem, I would think the odds of it happening a second time is extremely low. Worrying about it happening to your new watch serves no good purpose.
  • That goes for anything you buy and the warranty has expired. Based on the amount of people who experienced this problem, I would think the odds of it happening a second time is extremely low. Worrying about it happening to your new watch serves no good purpose.

Yep, agreed.
    I am a gadget "geek" and get many electronics device of all sort. I never experienced a new device to "brick" after 1 week from purchase.
    I am new to Garmin and this didn't give me much confidence!
    So far, my replacement watch is working perfectly, so perhaps this was simply a defective batch!
  • That goes for anything you buy and the warranty has expired. Based on the amount of people who experienced this problem, I would think the odds of it happening a second time is extremely low. Worrying about it happening to your new watch serves no good purpose.

My second VA3 in 6 weeks just has :(
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 6 years ago
    My 3rd is arriving today. First one did this within an hour. Second one - the side swiper quit working within an hour.
    If connecting USB or holding 15 seconds doesn't work, you have to exchange it for a new one. When my first one did this, there was absolutely no way out.
    After reading on here and amazon of it happening to so many others, I'm unsure if I'll keep the 3rd when it arrives, or just return it for a refund.
    I get it - people say that you see more 'issues' on the forums. But out of two watches, neither one lasted over an hour before failure (unsure if they were *caused* by firmware bugs). I'll always be worried about the 3rd doing this at some point. If I keep this past the stores return policy, how long will Garmin continue to replace for? 1 year?
  • i had the same thing, stuck in rebooting sequence on first day. I just did the factory reset and no problem. Connecting to Laptop is not a good advice,you have to reset the watch itself. Just hold the button till it powers completely off while it start to boot. it may take 15-20s . Then it should be ok. I have seen this issue many times and everyone just sending the watch back like it was faulty,but it seems just a minor bug imo.
  • A boot loop is a boot loop! There is no way out of it. I tried to turned off and on my watch like 20 times in different sequences. Plugged in. Unplugged. And the result is always the same. It just cant boot right. I got replacement for my first watch that went into loop, but the screen was with very visible defects underneath the glass, so I sent it back and now considering fenix 5s, which seems to be no perfect either.
  • A boot loop is a boot loop! There is no way out of it. I tried to turned off and on my watch like 20 times in different sequences. Plugged in. Unplugged. And the result is always the same. It just cant boot right. I got replacement for my first watch that went into loop, but the screen was with very visible defects underneath the glass, so I sent it back and now considering fenix 5s, which seems to be no perfect either.

definitely much higher-end device,i would recommend the Fenix 5s...and you must realise that there are NO devices that are perfect no matter which brand you choose.