This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Anyone else lose SMS notifications entirely after GCM 4.0.5 update?

Updated to the latest GCM app last night on my Note 8, and now I dont even recieve SMS notifications period, let alone hanging on the watch like they did with the previous version.

I think I'm going to revert to the previous version seeing as how resetting both devices and re-pairing did not change anything. All other notifications are working as intended.
  • To say it irritated me is putting it lightly, and im sorry to hear it was not just me as it really is the function I would prefer to work over all else (calls, Facebook, Instagram, etc)

I reverted back to GCM 3.22.2 by installing the APK available on different sites online (just be careful if you do this; get it from a trusted site) and the previous functionality returned which is better than nothing at all. One good thing about Android is not being locked down to only using the Google Play Store, but then again that would be a non-issue if the app worked properly :(

could you provide the link? i really need the messaging notifications till garmin fixes this issue. thx!
  • Same was with sony Z3 compact MM and VA3. Unpairing and pairing did not help. But after uninstalling the app and installing anew - now sms replay and notification is working...
  • could you provide the link? i really need the messaging notifications till garmin fixes this issue. thx!

link: https://apkpure.com/garmin-connect%E2%84%A2/com.garmin.android.apps.connectmobile (scroll down to 3.22.2 and download; ensure 4.0.5 is uninstalled before installing.)
  • I decided to try testing this again, and so I uninstalled GCM version 3.22.2 and cleared the cache on the phone.

I clean installed 4.0.5 and now have SMS notifications, as well as "reply" and "dismiss" buttons. the downside? the dismiss button doesnt actually dismiss notifications lol (it just does what swiping right does and the icon stays on the watch)

so, were back to the same issues as 3.22.2
  • Thanks DylanJZ
    This works. I am also happy to report that all settings (watch faces, order of widgets, etc) remain intact.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 6 years ago
    I decided to try testing this again, and so I uninstalled GCM version 3.22.2 and cleared the cache on the phone.

I clean installed 4.0.5 and now have SMS notifications, as well as "reply" and "dismiss" buttons. the downside? the dismiss button doesnt actually dismiss notifications lol (it just does what swiping right does and the icon stays on the watch)

so, were back to the same issues as 3.22.2

When you say you cleared the cache, what exactly did you do? I uninstalled 4.0.5, installed again and still have no sms.

Update. Never mind. I tried about 10-15 test text msg and no sms, but all other notifications are fine. Now out of the blue the last two came through. I don't get it. It seems to work when it wants.
  • I'm having the same issue, not receiving any texts other than what's app. Unfortunately I use the default text message app 99%of the time. What do you guys suggest doing to fix?
  • When you say you cleared the cache, what exactly did you do? I uninstalled 4.0.5, installed again and still have no sms.

Update. Never mind. I tried about 10-15 test text msg and no sms, but all other notifications are fine. Now out of the blue the last two came through. I don't get it. It seems to work when it wants.

I'm having the same issue, not receiving any texts other than what's app. Unfortunately I use the default text message app 99%of the time. What do you guys suggest doing to fix?

Might be a moot point now as 4.0.6 was just released, although I'm not sure what they changed... clearing cache is done by performing a soft reset (hold power and volume down until screen goes black and then release)
  • Former Member
    Well, I hope 4.0.6 helps because I spoke too soon. After I updated my last post about two text coming through, they stopped again. I can't figure it out. I checked and as far as I can figure out I never lost Bluetooth the entire time. Frustrating as all hell!!!!
  • Former Member
    I found something strange. I just downloaded 4.0.6 to my phone. I had my wife call and text me. The call notification came through, but still no SMS. I have a Moto Z Force Droid from Verizon. It came with two stock SMS apps. I use Verizon's Messages+. If I switch SMS apps my VA3 starts working. If I then switch back to Messages+, it'll continue to work. I had to do this earlier today with 4.0.5. I don't know why, but SMS will not work on my VA3 unless I switch back and forth between SMS apps and then set one to default.