This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Steps not counted during workouts

Good day, 

I previously had a Garmin Vivoactive 3 up until last week. The watch stopped tracking steps during a treadmill run since January this year. When running 8km, it would count just over 1000 steps. I bought the Garmin Venu and hoped this would not be an issue anymore, however, it does the same thing. Before January I had no such issues with the Vivoactive 3. I don't want to lose any of my data. Is there any way to fix this?

• Are you holding onto the treadmill or are your arms swinging free?  There is a data field for steps so it definitely should be counting them.

• I am running so my arms are swinging/ moving. Like I said I never had the issue before during my runs and hoped I wont have the same issue with the new watch. Would a reset help? And if so, will I still have all my data for the last 3 years?

• Hi! The app/web saves all of your data. Only data not synced is removed from the watch. Does the device count steps correctly throughout the day? Is it only when running? Does it happen only on a treadmill? Meaning have you ran outside to see if it accurately counts?

• I haven't run outside, only treadmill. It counts steps accurately during the day, only not counting during a workout. Will do a run outside and see if there is a difference otherwise maybe do a reset?

• Yes, but please try an outside run first and let me know if the steps are calculated. I find it extremely bizarre this would be happening on 2 different devices. 

• Found this topic just now. I'm having a similar problem. I went for a walk and it was activated automatically as a "walk activity". The total walk was registered correctly in terms of GPS and distance (3km). The steps that I see recorded tough are 2825 which is impossible as for 3km they should be around 4000. The avg cadence registered for my walk is 115 spm that for 37min of walk would give 4255 so that means that 1430 steps were not registered in the step counter. The walk activity is then registered properly but the total steps are not. How is this possible? Any solution? Would be using an external app better than the built in one? Thanks in advance.