This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Should I cancel my Amazon order for the Garmin Venu or just go ahead with it?

Brief history:

Just turned forty, trying to have kids. Work at a desk most of the time, gotten as bad as I from a health point of view that I need to get up and get moving. Want to start with setting targets, 10,000 steps at minimum, want to monitor my HR and SpO2. Am a CPAP user and want to establish if I'm getting enough O2 at night.

I want to get active, be an active person, devote at least an hour a day to some physical activity. 

I read a lot online, checked out a ton of YouTube videos and the Venu seemed like it meets all my requirements while giving me space to grow into different more varied activities.

Then I joined this forum, and the negativity is scaring me. Folks here have quite a different point of view with regards to the Venu.

On top of that, someone here said Garmin is not going to be improving sleep monitoring based on what a Garmin rep said here.

Should I cancel my order or go ahead with the Venu?

What are the key issues I need to be aware of so I know if it meets my requirements or not?

Please do help as for me, this might be the most expensive watch I've purchased ever and I don't want to make a bad call on it.

Thanks in advance, hope I get some clarity before my Venu arrives tomorrow!

• Actually, from health perspective I think Apple is better, as it keeps all the health metrics on device (and in an encrypted iCloud backup), while Google harvests your health data on the cloud.

• Spo2, HR, GPS - yes

Altimeter - no

• Well I cancelled the Venu coz I do want sleep tracking. Also I gave it some thought and do own a decent collection of regular watches which makes me think now I should be looking at not a whole watch but rather something slim like a Vivosmart. Only concern with that is its a few years old and knowing my luck they'll launch It VS5 early next year.

• I doubt the Vivosmart will have better sleep tracking than the Venu. You'll have to target something like the Forerunner 745, 945 or Fenix 6 if you want the advanced sleep tracking and want to stay in Garmin's world.  Of course, you could jump to Fitbit which is praised for it's sleep tracking here and elsewhere (I've never owned one).

• i wish i would have thought to try this but perhaps start with something like the honor band and see which features you make the most use of, wish you had, or don't really need before buying a more robust tracker. i don't think any of these devices accurately measure blood oxygen levels, they may be helpful to show trends though.

• Well, I bought my Venu. Cancelled it first, waited about two weeks and bought it again. Almost cancelled it again but Amazon forced my hand a bit and I took delivery. Happy that I did, to be honest. Started with something simple. Just hitting the step target for the day. Maybe a few quick jogs. It's movement and some movements better than no movement. Staying on target as I need to justify the purchase.

I did consider Fitbit for a moment. Their devices look like tacky plastic rubbish on my wrists. Aesthetics do matter. Also don't like their closed system, subscription plan, constant upsells and very generalised data visualisation. I'm a data nerd and that way, Garmin does not disappoint. I did also consider the Forerunner series but given the watch is on my wrist all the time and I am often in a corporate meeting; it appeared a tad bit too sporty for my tastes. Also, wanted the amoled screen.

Someday I'll move up to the Fenix series, wherever it's at in the future. Hopefully with an amoled screen.

Apple would only be worth it if I had an iPhone, but I would never have the latter, so the former is pointless for me. Also, still, a data nerd which Apple does not deliver on.

To be honest, quite enjoying the Venu. Running SW5.30 and it's mostly fairly accurate. SpO2 stats are sometimes a tad bit low but I do have breathing issues too, apnoea and low O2 stats from years of smoking. Quit a couple of years ago but the damage hasn't fully healed.

The key argument I can make though is it's gotten me up off my lazy fat ass and is making me move. My wife's thrilled and that alone is worth the price of admission.

I do love tracking, drinking more water, hitting targets I set for myself and ever since I got more active, I've been feeling much better about myself.

I think that's my testament to the device after using it for a month.

I get there are issues, but a lot of folks here make a mountain out of a molehill. Can't help their stress if they get so worked up and stress can beat down that body battery. Instead, use that breathwork and relax a bit. It helps.

Would love if Garmin improved sleep tracking and aside from the apnoea, I've now got idiopathic insomnia (no idea why), the prescribed sedatives aren't even working, it sure does reflect on the body battery so that seems spot on with how I'm feeling. 

While I was hesitant at first, glad I went for it, my wife wants one too even though she's much fitter than me, just because she too is a data nerd.

Hopefully, I keep this up, and a year later, am a better person for it. Thank you for all your inputs!

• Good for you! I've decided to go with the latest Apple Watch 6 (upgraded from outdated original 5.5 years old Apple Watch Series 0). And boy, am I happy! SpO2 calculations are way more accurate (difference in 10-15% between Venu and AW), as well as GPS and floors climbed calculation. But yeah, you need to be in the Apple ecosystem. And need to be prepared to charge the device every 2 days :)

I am happy, that Venu exceeds your expectations, and that you (same as me) enjoy digging through different metrics. I hope Garmin will keep improving the watch, especially sleep mode, but also UI/UX.

Funny thing, on Garmin you have to start Handwashing manually, while Apple Watch detects it automatically.

• what kills me about apple is that you could have $100k of apple equipment but if you dont have an iphone, no watch for you!!!