This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Watch sensors quit working

Is my Venu already broken? 

It was working find this morning. I noticed about mid day that it would not sense when I lifted my wrist up to turn the screen on. I tried to double tap the screen to see the watch face, and that didnt work either. I have to tap one of the side buttons to get the watch screen to turn on. 

I noticed that neither the HR or O2 sensor is working. No lights at all. When I try to go to the screens to measure heart rate, pulse ox etc.... it does nothing. Still no lights. 

It is as if the watch isn't detecting that I am wearing it. 

I tried a factory reset and that didnt fix the issue either. What gives? 

Anyone else have this happen? I doubt both pulse and o2 sensors died at the same time. It really seems like the watch isn't detecting that it is on my wrist. It is acting like it does when its sitting on a desk. 

• Try a hard reset/reboot.  Press the button for 15-20 seconds until the watch turns itself off and then turn it back on

• Same here. I tried reboot as suggested but still nothing. Any other suggestions?

•  Did the reboot help?

• I had the same issue, but then at midnight. Tried a reset but that didn't work. It appeared that the Do not disturb mode was set from 2300 till 0700. You can also set the Do not disturb mode manually in the Controls menu.

• Good idea. Unfortunately it did not help me.

• I had this same issue. I did the hard reset/reboot as  suggested in the first reply, and it worked. All my sensors are now working again.

Now that I think about it, this also may be important. Right before doing this hard reset I had just gone into the watch system settings and did a "Delete Data and Reset Settings". I then paired my watch up again with my phone. My sensors were still not working. Right after that is when I did the hard reset/reboot.

• I think when you do a hard reset all your settings revert to default settings. This means the heart rate sensor will no longer be set to "all day". "All day" setting for the heart sensor means 24/7 - day & night. As in 24 hours = one complete day.

So to put it so it works:

Go to settings. Go to system. Scroll down to "data recording" and set to "every second". Then from clock screen press B. Go to settings. Go to "wrist heart rate". Status must be set to "auto" because the pulse ox cannot work unless heart rate is working. I keep "broadcast in activity" & Broadcast" to off to save battery. I switch it on if I need it during activities. I keep "abnormal heart rate" on all the time. Go to "pulse ox" set to "all day" which means 24/7.

I keep display brightness on "low" because I am using a "Venu". I find it very bright still. I keep "physio Tru up" off.  I set "gesture" to off because in a Venu "always on" means the display always comes on when you turn your wrist. There is really NO true "always on"  mode on my Venu. I set gesture sensitivity to low.

Your heart rate and pulse ox will not work if your battery is below 10%. Pulse ox will not work if you are moving but heart rate should work 24/7. Gesture does not work during your set sleeping times. So I'm going to switch gesture to always off. This means to see the screen on a Venu I have to tap the screen twice with my nail to see anything or press B button once.

I set the "Do not disturb" so that I don't receive notifications during my set sleep times. I don't use the lock screen because I found it to be a pain when I wake up briefly and need to quickly see the time.

My battery is lasting longer with the above settings (with gesture set to off) and constant heart rate and pulse ox set to always on - readings 24/7. My Bluetooth is usually switched off. I only really need Bluetooth switched on once a day to upload the information from the Venu to my phone. I think the Bluetooth does drain the battery. Oh I put the Bluetooth on when I'm exercising as I like to listen to my music during exercise.

I charge my Venu once a day at dinner time in the evening. That way I'm sure to have over 80% battery left when I go to sleep.

• Please see my reply. Sorry it's so long. I did it wrong and did the reply to the original poster.

• I know it's late.

But just had the same issue after a Garmin update.

Tried all kind of resets. Couldn't make it work. 

I turned off the do not disturb completely.

It's now working properly. 

Hope it can help someone else. 

• www.hardreset.info/.../

I followed this but instead of resetting I had to change data recording from smart mode to every second and all my sensors came back on immediately!

Phew!