This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Does the Venu SQ use Firstbeat's algorithm to calculate calories?

Hello all,

question is basically in the title.

I find it pretty weird that is so hard to get any information about what devices and what functions on each device use firstbeat algorithms.

The german support site tells me to look at firstbeat's homepage where I would find a list of garmin devices that use firstbeat's algorithms. (https://support.garmin.com/de-DE/?faq=cQk5lIEi6i9gFOrle4qHL6) That is simply not true as there is no category called "garmin" on the linked page I could click.

The english support site only tells me, that "most devices" use them which is not helpful either (https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=cQk5lIEi6i9gFOrle4qHL6).

Regards,

Max

• If the 245 is using Firstbeat to track sleep and you are not seeing an improvement over the Venu sleep tracking, then Firstbeat sleep tracking must be useless..

Because sleep tracking on the Venu is primitive and it thinks one is asleep whenever one is simply motionless for a while, such as when reading or watching TV.

Body Battery is actually useful and pretty accurate in my experience, but it doesn't replace accurate sleep tracking.

Does someone else have experience with FirstBeat's sleep tracking and can opine on how accurate it is?

• Hello,

Errata: yes, indeed Garmin Venu Sq calculates much higher Active Calories than my Forerunner 245.

If in a normal day I do have like around 300-400 Active calories burned with my Forerunner 245 with the  Venu Sq I do have like 700-900 active calories burned which seems unrealistic high.

My guess: there is a software big somewhere as this algorithm Calories calculation is based on many things including:

- age, weight, gender and Garmin Activity class

Now a better question will be: which one of this is incorrectly send to the watch? I think that Firstbeat algorithm is used but in a wrong or buggy way..

• Where have you found these information? How about the estimation of sweat loss? It's the same for every Garmin devices? Thanks