This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Index Smart Scale data not syncing to Apple Health (except Weight)

I've owned the Garmin Index Smart Scale since February 2018. Prior to that I used an alternative scale that measured body fat, lean body mass etc. and saved all of this into Apple Health on my iOS device.

Initially, after getting the settings right in Apple Health, the Index Smart Scale worked as expected; weight, body fat% and BMI all synced from Garmin Connect into Apple Health. (The fact that Skeletal Muscle Mass isn't available to Apple Health as Lean Body Mass is annoying... but not new!)

However, since June Body Fat% is no longer syncing. Weight and BMI continue to come into Apple Health, but Body Fat no longer does.

I've tried all the usual troubleshooting tasks; Disconnecting and reconnecting Connect from Apple Health data sources, re-installing Connect, removing My Fitness Pal as a 3rd Party app... nothing has solved this.

Given the NTP scale issues, I'm about ready to consider this product a very expensive joke. Smart? No... anything but smart.
  • I've also (just) noticed that Garmin is uploading two sets of completely different data points for BMI every time I step on the scale (when it actually works... NTP issue!)

It looks suspiciously like Apple Health is being sent my Body Fat as BMI by Garmin Connect!!ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1390292.png
  • However, since June Body Fat% is no longer syncing. Weight and BMI continue to come into Apple Health, but Body Fat no longer does.

I have noticed the same thing. Body Fat Percentage stopped being synced to Apple Health after July 7, 2018.

• That timing could be related to my issue... I was travelling overseas between June 10 and July 11, so the last recorded Body Fat in Apple Health relates to my last weighing on the scale prior to July 11, rather than it necessarily failing in June... it could have stopped on July 7 for me also (unconfirmed, but possible).
    ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1391871.jpg
  • Seeing the same thing. I have emailed Garmin support, who initially blamed Apple (!). They clearly didn’t understand that Garmin Connect writes data to Apple Health via HealthKit, and so is responsible for categorising the data points it writes.

Version 4.8 of the Garmin Connect app was released on 28 Jun, just before everything went wrong in my health stats. No iOS releases at that time.

I have now made Garmin support aware of this fact, so hopefully should see something other than a slopey shoulder response.

Very frustrating considering how easy it would be for someone at Garmin support to replicate, and acknowledge it is a bug.
  • Hi,
    since I have the Index Scale (some months ago) it writes the data to the Apple Health app, no problems.
  • Seeing the same thing. I have emailed Garmin support, who initially blamed Apple (!). They clearly didn’t understand that Garmin Connect writes data to Apple Health via HealthKit, and so is responsible for categorising the data points it writes.

Version 4.8 of the Garmin Connect app was released on 28 Jun, just before everything went wrong in my health stats. No iOS releases at that time.

I have now made Garmin support aware of this fact, so hopefully should see something other than a slopey shoulder response.

Very frustrating considering how easy it would be for someone at Garmin support to replicate, and acknowledge it is a bug.

well, even though that’s a cop-out answer, it’s a somewhat better response than I’ve had. I also contacted Garmin support about this... and now, more than a month later, have had NO REPLY at all.

• Same problem with me.
    datas of body fat and bmi sent to bmi on apple health ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1407199.png
  • Same problem with me.
    datas of body fat and bmi sent to bmi on apple health

I've done a bit of digging on this, and ALL the evidence points to Garmin Connect Mobile being the culprit here.
    • The fact that the BMI data has two readings every day registered by Apple Health as coming from a sync instigated by Garmin Connect.
    • The fact that one of the BMI data points is obviously not a BMI reading.
    • The fact that the BMI data point appears to closely align to the expected Body Fat % number...
    On the last point, the way Apple's Health Kit framework handles data is by setting up an object that can potentially have different data behind it... like pounds or kilograms. The programmers can set this against the object. But for some items you can't set the data type... such as BMI. That object will always be a number to two decimal places. Likewise, Body Fat % is always a percentage (which programatically gets represented like: 10.1% = 0.101, 9.9% = 0.099... 100% = 1.00)

If the programmers accidentally use the BMI object to send Body Fat % then the two decimal place limitation caused by the data type will result in a rounding sent by the Garmin Connect app when it sends the data to Apple Health Kit.

Obviously none of us are able to see the code here, but I'd bet quite a bit of money this is 1 line of code where the dev has accidentally copied and pasted the wrong object name.

It would be incredibly easy to prove or disprove this... if only Garmin would actually care to do so.
  • I now have a case number with support and have provided them with screen shots, app diagnostics, sync reports and a full compressed archive of the Garmin folder from my Fenix 5. Let's see what the outcome is.