This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Scale Won't Zero Out

I got my scale 11 days ago. I used it for 3 days and then left for a week vacation. I weighed in last night when I got home and it seemed fine. This morning I weighed in and the number was the same as last night but for that didn't seem right since I had eaten quite a bit since last night so I decided to try stepping on the scale again. Suddenly it said I weighed 4.5 pounds more. That was an odd shift so I tried again and got the same reading. Then I noticed that it was showing 2.9 pounds even when I wasn't standing on the scale. I didn't have time to mess with it so I decided to check it again when I got home.

Tonight, it was still showing 2.9 pounds with nobody standing on it. I tried moving it to a different room, I tried changing the batteries, I tried doing a factory reset. After all that, it was now showing 6.1 pounds with nobody on it. I tried resetting it again. It kept getting worse. I would watch it register a weight, then the display would flash the guest user icon, then it would show the uploading progress. Then it would show an even higher weight, flash the guest icon, etc. Now it's showing over 90 pounds with nobody standing on it so I've just removed the batteries and packaged it back up.

I emailed Garmin support. I am assuming they'll want me to ship it back. Very frustrating. All my other Garmin gear has been pretty reliable.
  • Garmin support responded with generic instructions for zeroing out the scale:

The Index Smart Scale may show a weight value when no weight is on the scale if the scale was moved and the scale "zeroed" itself with a value other than zero. To get the most accurate weight value, ensure that the scale has been properly zeroed before taking a measurement.

To manually re-zero the scale, ensure that no weight is applied to the scale and wait for it to go to sleep. Do not move or touch the scale for 3 seconds after the screen has gone to sleep. After 3 seconds, wake up the scale by tapping the surface and the displayed weight should be zero.

If issue persists, pick up scale and hold stationary until the display shuts off. Once it shuts off gently place scale on the ground. Wake up the scale by tapping the surface and the displayed weight should be zero.

After manually re-zeroing the scale an accurate body composition measurement can be taken and uploaded to Garmin Connect.

I had already tried this last night but decided to give it another shot after it had been sitting with no batteries in it for almost 24 hours. No luck. It was showing 95 pounds with nothing on the scale. It also wouldn't turn off because it apparently thinks someone is constantly trying to use it... even if, as directed by Garmin Support, I pick up the scale and hold it stationary.

I tried resetting it yet again and it just got worse. Now it is showing over 300 pounds of "phantom" weight. I decided to take a video to show it doing its thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJDY2sPAn_k
  • I am getting the same issue.. tried removing the batteries, doing a reset, following Garmin instruction zeroing the scale and it’s still not working. We’re you able to find a solution ?ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1298928.jpg
  • Garmin ended up replacing my scale.
  • Did anyone else see this issue and get it resolved? I'm seeing the same thing in my scales.

Con
  • Same problem here - any solutions. other than Get Garmin to replace?
  • Unfortunately if you are experiencing this issue, the scale will need to be replaced. I apologize for the inconvenience, please contact your local Product Support at support.garmin.com.
  • Having the same problem with mine. I sent an email to the support center. The call in did not have an option that included the Index smart scale.
  • At the risk of re-opening an old post I have owned my Garmin Index since 01/01/2019 after almost 3 months out of the blue my scale started to do exactly the same as those users mentioned above. My scale will not zero at all and constantly shows 6.4lbs above zero no matter what I do, here are somethings I have tried already.
    1) Factory reset (holding the reset button for more than 5 seconds)
    2) remove and re-install device from Garmin connect and WiFi
    3) Factory reset with battery removal for a period of 2 hours or more
    4) Manual zero procedure as described on the Garmin online support (multiple times)
    5) moved the scale to various floor types to determine if that would help

Anyone have any further suggestions / ideas, and this started out of the blue no reason. I contacted Garmin phone support as mentioned by JonnyGelato there is no menu option for Garmin Index however managed to speak to someone at their support desk. Recommended remove device, factory reset and re-install in Garmin connect I guess I will make another attempt at that then request a replacement?:(
  • I have the complete opposite problem...my scale zero's out but reads too low by about 12 lbs.  My family got caught up in the Garmin experience and we switched over from a mash of other brands to the Garmin eco-system and have been drinking the cool aid for some time .  A friend gave us the scale and I knew it was having connectivity problems...we could never connect so it sat on a self...spring cleaning and re-discovering the scale led me to the forum and behold a firmware has been out for 6 months...fast forward couldn't connect so couldn't update...bought an ANT+ stick and updated to the latest firmware...it now connects but the rub is the values are too low...tried the zero out suggestions, taking the battery out, tapping then coming back, tap once the wait 30 sec....

Is there a fix or setting for this?  You can look up my account and see how it measures to a Tanita BC-1000, as much as I would like to believe your scale....if may just be flattering me so I will purchase the next device.  My questions are as follows:

1) Is there a fix that isn't documented.

2) Is my unit still under warranty (It would be stretching it time wise)

3) Given the connectivity issues (seems to be server related) caused a cascade of events for me that ultimately delayed the discovery of the issue; does Garmin look favorably on addressing what seems to be an issue out of the box?

You can message me directly through my account.

Your consideration and response is greatly appreciated.

Al

• So answering my own question the sequence for me to get the scale to work properly was....

1 Update to new firmware via ANT +, a dongle and a PC

2 Hard Reset (reset button for 5 seconds) until looping arrows appear.

3 Register it on a device that you do not intend on using (android)

4 Hard Reset

5 Register on device that you intend to use (iPad)

I had to hit the reset button (click) a couple of times to get the device to find it then a second time to connect...once connected it will wipe out all the data and the scale will read properly.  The body fat was way off initially then settled down...It now reads within 1lb of my Tania BC1000.  There must have been a cache that didn’t clear and using a different device forced a purge and reset to factory calibrations...don’t know if the different OS forced the purge.