This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Muscle Mass

Just got a new garmin index today. Does anyone know why there is such a hugh difference in muscle mass readings between the garmin index and other Tanita scales I own?
  • My Tanita BC-1000plus reading of Skeletal Muscle Mass is 155 lbs the Garmin Index reading is 85.7 lbs which is a hugh difference. I went out to try to understand why it may be different and this is what their definition of Skeletal muscle mass is:

The Garmin Index Smart Scale will measure and record skeletal muscle mass. Skeletal muscles are made up of voluntary muscles that contract upon command from conscious thought. Skeletal muscle mass does not include cardiac or smooth muscle, which contract without conscious thought. Some examples of muscles that do not get measured by the scale include: the heart, arteries, veins, and intestines.

Tanita - Muscle mass includes the skeletal muscles, smooth muscles such as cardiac and digestive muscles and the water contained in these muscles.

So It looks like Tanita includes cardiac and digestive muscles and the water contained in these muscles where Garmin states it does not include cardiac or smooth muscle, which contract without conscious thought.

So does this contribute to a 70lb difference?
  • I would think so. I got a body scan done in December, before I got the Index scale, and the numbers are almost 50% on the Index scale vs. the scan.
  • Hello,

I got my Index scale today and compared to my Tanita I saw same differences and new ones:

Muscle: Garmin = 31 kg, Tanita 57 kg

Bone mass: Garmin 4.4 kg, Tanita 3 kg

Body water: Garmin 58.6% Tanita 54.5%

Body fat: Garmin 19.7%, Tanita 21%

I don't understand the bone mass difference...?