This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

WiFi and Connection issues

Hi...
I bought the Index a couple weeks ago.
First Impression - great.
Finally a scale that works with WLAN and the Garmin Portal.

After 3 days, it had a Problem finding my Router mornings, blinking, searching for the router.
I used my cell phone and checked the WLAN Configuration, everything was ok...exited the Settings and stepped on the scale again, the Scale worked fine.

3 days later the Same Problem, no internet connection...
Again i had to enter the Scales WLAN Configuration and exit the configuration (without changing anything) to get the scale to find the Internet.

2 Days Later...the same story
I tried the changing the Security settings (switched from WPA/WPA2 to just WPA2) in mey Router, still losing connection after 2-3 days of use.
I tried to use a different Access Point (Devolo WLAN 1200+), the Connection was lost the next day! Woke up, stepped on the scale and no internet. No Sync - even though i Setup the Devolo Access point the nicht before. the Access point works fine, my Cell Phone ist connected as well.

is this a Software Problem?
Anyone else having this problem?
The Scale is direct under my router, and the Devolo Access point was also an arm lenght away! Still losing the connection and no Syncing with the Portal

Anyone got this thing to work all the time?
Or am I missing a step in the Configuration.

Can anyone give me a tip?

Tim
  • Can confirm this is also happening here in the UK. Is this linked to the problems with Garmin Connect and iOS perhaps? Or maybe a resurrection of the NTP issues from months ago?
    Just seems Garmin is plagued with various bugs at present on differing platforms.

I'm UK based too.

I am at a loss as to what it can be. My home ISP is Plusnet, it no longer works here, but did perfectly for over a year up until last October when it suddenly stopped. (Around the change to GMT which may or not be relevant).

My works ISP is BT and it works perfectly there. BT own Plusnet so you'd think that any infrastructre they use would be similar.

My mobile provider is Vodafone and using mobile tethering it works at home as long as I'm not connected to my Wifi.

Makes no sense to me whatsoever. Garmin UK are supposedly looking into it but have heard nothing back from them for a while now.
  • I'm UK based too.

I am at a loss as to what it can be. My home ISP is Plusnet, it no longer works here, but did perfectly for over a year up until last October when it suddenly stopped. (Around the change to GMT which may or not be relevant).

My works ISP is BT and it works perfectly there. BT own Plusnet so you'd think that any infrastructre they use would be similar.

My mobile provider is Vodafone and using mobile tethering it works at home as long as I'm not connected to my Wifi.

Makes no sense to me whatsoever. Garmin UK are supposedly looking into it but have heard nothing back from them for a while now.

Mine has been working fine up to when I last weighed myself successfully on 26 Feb. Tried another weigh in on Monday and it fails. I haven't changed anything on my home WiFi or ISP (I am with Gigaclear). Hello Garmin?
  • Update. I have sorted mine. I had the NTP redirection in place from months ago and had never removed it. So removed it from my router and PiHole and boom, working again. Garmin must of retired the old server and updated to a new one as the IP address resolved by DNS is now different.
  • If you are able to, try and connect it to a mobile phone "hotspot" connection and force it to use the phone's data connection by turning off the phone's wifi connection. That is how I currently upload since my wifi router connection suddenly stopped working last October. Bit of a PITA having to but at least mine now uploads.

HTH

Thanks for the tip, but I've already tried that.
    Still no successful upload, even with Wifi hotspot from my phone.
  • Update. I have sorted mine. I had the NTP redirection in place from months ago and had never removed it. So removed it from my router and PiHole and boom, working again. Garmin must of retired the old server and updated to a new one as the IP address resolved by DNS is now different.

Scrub that. Stopped working again. :mad:

Getting fed up with the constant issues with Garmin hardware.
  • Does anyone's Smart Scale now actually work? Mine still does not. Just never connects to WiFi.
  • Here - mine worked flawless since i bought it in December, shortly after the last update which should address the NTP fault! The scale has not-so-good wifi reception and i had to install a repeater nearby the Smart Scale - but after doing so, i had no problems using it. Transmission of data works flawless every morning...
  • Does anyone's Smart Scale now actually work? Mine still does not. Just never connects to WiFi.

Mine has worked really well (I use it daily) since late November 2018. Nothing changed at my end. It was the firmware update that fixed the NTP timeout issue. I think, in that time it has failed to connect just once. Before the update it would connect about 1 in every 2 or 3 attempts.
  • Mine worked fine from when I first got it around November 17 connecting and uploading every day without fail. Then around the end of October last year it started to fail from time to time at the upload stage and within a couple of weeks refused to upload at all. Nothing had changed with my router or settings unless my ISP changed something at their end without my knowledge.

I then discovered that it would upload okay tethered to my mobile phone as long as my phone WIFI connection was disconnected and I used my mobile data connection. The scale firmware update made no difference.

I have just upgraded my broadband connection which involved a new router as well. Out of interest I have just tried connecting to my home network using exactly the same settings as before and hey presto it now works perfectly. The conclusion I have reached is there must be combinations of equipment and ISP providers that for some reason refuse to play with Garmin servers. I'd also add that in the whole time I had my "old" home network and connection the only piece of equipment that did not work as expected at any time was the Index scale.

Go figure...