This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Body Fat% is a way off PART3

As the other thread "Body Fat% is a way off PART2" has been closed with another non-answer here is a new home for your observations and comments.

Personally I am happy with a difference of a few points from mechanism of measurement to another one, however I am not happy with a DEXA scan saying low 30s and an Index2 saying high teens.

So in my experience the Index2 doesn't do what it should at all.

• over time the scale does "get to know you" but look at those initial swings!  By the end the scale is more consistent but probably only about 3% points high.

Weirdly my nutrition was incredibly consistent during the first part of this graph and less consistent on the second half due to holiday.

• My body fat is way of the chart also. I do a lot of calisthenics. And I do not input them in my Gamin watch (to much manual work). 

I mostly use the Garmin watch for my cardio sports (not that much).

Anyhow I am quite heavy for my length. (muscle mass). And if I do skinfold gauge checks. I should be arround 10-11%

What does the Index S2 give me? 23.1%... That is actually the same result if I use some site on Google to convert BMI to Body fat (raw data).

Did some chatting with Garmin but they were not helpfull at al to be honest. 

I changed my activity profile from 6 to 8 (dont know how 6 got there in fhe first place (sport 7/7 1 hour a day at least) 

But the fat % remained the same. 

• That is a thing I will try this evening probably. 

• Yes, the body fat is a way of part 3. 

• I confirm that changing my sport level from 8 to 10 give me a slightly more accurate calculation. 

Went from 23% tot 19%. Still not off for about 7-9%

Change my age with 10 years however did not change a thing. 

• Try with your fitness age and you'll notice the difference 

• When I run (usually every other day) I weigh myself before and after. The after run weight is allways smaller then the pre run one and it appears that while running I am loosing body fat along with bone mass and muscle mass and I do gain some water.

Beside that my fat percentage is at the limit between normal and overfat, sometimes going in overfat. I have 1m and 74 cm and the S size is almost too large for me.

• I did a lab measurement using BodyMetrix which estimates 15.9%. However, the scale is far from that, telling me 28% :/

Not satisfiable at all...

• I must add that, sometimes, after a run the fat percent is greater than before the run. At least on one occasion it happened after a under 10k run so I have not eat or drink during the run.

• As you have lost water by sweat and the scale doesn't change your muscle percentage...then the BF% increases to give you a coherent value (not necessarily correct as we have seen)