This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Body Fat% is a way off PART3

As the other thread "Body Fat% is a way off PART2" has been closed with another non-answer here is a new home for your observations and comments.

Personally I am happy with a difference of a few points from mechanism of measurement to another one, however I am not happy with a DEXA scan saying low 30s and an Index2 saying high teens.

So in my experience the Index2 doesn't do what it should at all.

• After waiting 6 months to buy an Index2, I will be returning it, as the BF readings are way off the Index1. It increased by BF 30% and it increased my wife’s BF 50%. Same settings in both Index’s. Index2 was updated to the latest firmware. Caliper readings and body image align with Index1 readings. No response from Garmin support.

• No response from Garmin support.

That's not good. What was your method of attempting to contact Garmin about this issue? Garmin Support Center? Email, chat, phone call? I don't see much activity on this forum from Garmin staff, but have occasionally seen posts from .

• I finally got a reply from support, No help really, and I find it odd that they actually suggest returning it.

The original Index Scale's algorithm relied more heavily on BMI data to calculate body fat percentage, while the Index S2 uses more of the impedance data. We believe that this creates a more accurate reading of body data compared to BMI charts, but can lead to much different. 

The body composition metrics provided by Index S2 compare to known gold standard methods (Dexa scan, Bod Pod, etc.) favorably on average. However, individual users can certainly see a difference. 

We recommend following the guidelines in this FAQ to get the most accurate view of your overall body composition: Why Is My Body Composition Data Different When Compared to other Tests or Scales?

If you're still unhappy with the scale's performance after reading and following the guidelines in the article, it may be best to return the scale.

• But...i can't understand that answer when if, as Garmin says, it depends more on impedance why the BF% vary enormously just changing the age?

It'd be helpful another explanation different from an automatic answer.

• This demonstrates what has been apparent for a long time:the BF from this scale and it’s predecessor is BS. It’s a bog standard scale with Wi-fi and algorithm-based estimates. The impedance stuff i, well, magical thinking unless we see some evidence. 

• as best i can figure, garmin have decided to ignore the problem and freely accept returns rather than doing anything about the issue - i can only assume that this is because the impedance is complete snake oil so they have no ability to do anything. how they managed to make things much worse than the 1st gen scales i don't know. they don't even seem willing to use the information they have such as "fitness age" to make a more informed guess on body composition.

there is another thread here of people clamouring to get hold of these scales so i guess there is still a good market for mugs. presumably the manufacturing costs are so low that returns are not a problem. 

• I have had a comprehensive lab from UC Davis, including DEXA, all VO2 studies (at rest and physical exertion), Resting Metabolic Assessment, and more, and the Garmin ecosystem, including the Index S2, is SPOT ON.  Most of these complaints are wishful thinking.  If you want lower body fat, work harder.  NOT SNAKE OIL... just a bunch of folks disgruntled because of poor body image. Garmin knows what they're doing. Nuf said.

• how do you respond to the people here who have also had DEXA scans showing results completely different to the garmin ones?

what about the people who have stated they have confirmed BF far higher than what garmin says? is that wishful thinking?

for my part, i don't really care what the number is, i'd just like to be able to trust that if the numbers change then that is a reflection of a change in my body composition. these scales do not provide that.

• I have been performing multiple weigh-ins with both the Index and the Index 2 to try make sense of all this.
    On the Index 1, my activity class (AC) is (and always has been) 7 which provides a BF reading of ~21%. If I change it to AC8, the BF drops to ~12% which is definitely not accurate.
    On the Index 2, for AC 7 and 8, the BF reading is ~26%, and if I changed it to AC 9 or 10, it drops to ~21%.
    It never made much sense why the changes were so drastic on the Index1 between AC 7&8, but now it seems to make even less sense on the Index 2. I would expect to see a more linear change.Does anyone know the theory behind activity class settings?
    Why are AC 7&8 providing basically the same reading?
    Why are AC 9&10 providing basically the same reading?
    Why does it drop so much from AC8 to AC9?
    Does changing the AC work the same as above for other people?
    By definition, my AC would be somewhere between AC8 and AC9, so which value should I go with?
    AC9 provides basically the same BF reading as AC7 did on the Index1.
  • I am sorry to say that an, perhaps the, answer to all your questions is that the scales are a sham. They are good for sending weight to Garmin Connect and they use unconvincing and seemingly unqualified algorithms to make guesses about body composition. 

Garmin May want to present some evidence that this is not a fair assessment.