Vector 3 - battery consumption reports

So I wanted to share my battery experience with V3. Not that I want to complain or anything. It's just a finding...

Installed my V3 29/11 and today E1030 mesaged me "low power in pedals".

This is exactly 60 hours 23 minutes of training on my Indoor bike. This half of what is claimed (120 hours).

Cycling dynamics was OFF 90% of all time. Torque measurement is ON all time.

Let us see what a fresh pair of batteries will do (Duracell LR 44). Cycling dynamics will be OFF all time. Torque measurement is ON all time.
  • Is the bike stored indoors or cold garage? Were the pedals disturbed at all between rides? Have the batteries actually ceased working, or just reported that soonish you'll need to replace them?

To my mind, a month and a half is pretty reasonable for batteries to have lasted. My guess would be that if you did those 60 hours in a week you'd get closer to 120 hours. Garmin report best case battery life and almost certainly won't have tested occasional usage patterns like yours (I'm assuming you didn't fit them and then wait over a month before riding 60 hours in one sitting!).

I know you weren't complaining, but I think it's pretty reasonable. I also wouldn't bother turning CD off as it almost certainly won't buy you more time. FWIW you'll be a LOT more bothered by this if you keep buying expensive Duracells. Get yourself to Amazon and buy a pack of 30 cells for under £2 and change them weekly :)
  • Hello,

I am not complaining either (yet), my vector 3S did about seven hours with fresh batteries. The bike inside the house and is not disturbed at all. The batteries that it came with were already dead when arrived and I had to change to this new one (SR44). Let see what happens with the new batteries.
  • Is the bike stored indoors or cold garage? Were the pedals disturbed at all between rides? Have the batteries actually ceased working, or just reported that soonish you'll need to replace them?

To my mind, a month and a half is pretty reasonable for batteries to have lasted. My guess would be that if you did those 60 hours in a week you'd get closer to 120 hours. Garmin report best case battery life and almost certainly won't have tested occasional usage patterns like yours (I'm assuming you didn't fit them and then wait over a month before riding 60 hours in one sitting!).

I know you weren't complaining, but I think it's pretty reasonable. I also wouldn't bother turning CD off as it almost certainly won't buy you more time. FWIW you'll be a LOT more bothered by this if you keep buying expensive Duracells. Get yourself to Amazon and buy a pack of 30 cells for under £2 and change them weekly :)

The bike is stored indoors in 22 degress C.

I think the batteries where dead, when I tried to reconnect after my ride was done. I wnated to turn off cycling dynamics, but keept loosing connection to V3. I'd guess I did 1 to 1,5 h after the meassage was displayed. The pedals where working fine undtill I stopped :-)

I think 60 hours is on the low side. But it's not a deal breaker for me, so I don't care (to be honest).
  • I think the batteries where dead, when I tried to reconnect after my ride was done.

Do you have an activity FIT file from the last ride you did before you swapped batteries?

• Here you go

Looks like I don't have access. Can you PM it over?
  • t_smit

For some reason I get "Invalid file" error no matter where I upload the file. I'll see if I can find a workaround...
  • I think 60 hours is on the low side. But it's not a deal breaker for me, so I don't care (to be honest).

The battery voltage showed 2.58V, which is in the range where you would get the warning. The total time it recorded (since the battery was last inserted) was a little over 72 hours.

FYI the OEM battery is a Varta VG13
  • Out of curiosity t_smit what tool allows you to see the total battery usage?
  • what tool allows you to see the total battery usage?

The tool requires proprietary encoding information so I can't get into the details on that.