This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Rally XC100 and Edge - Calibrate before EVERY ride necessary?

Is it important to calibrate the XC100 with the Edge 530 before EVERY ride, or can I do it less frequently, say once a month? 

Of course, a relatively accurate power calculation is something I prefer, but I am curious why calibration is required before every ride if it indeed is highly recommended by those in the know.  

Apologies, as I come from a Stages single-side crank power world and am new to the Garmin Rally pedals.

• yeah, there is situation when the pedal based system is the easiest choice (but if i travel, even with plane, i take my own bike, if you stay more then 1week at a place the additional travel cost is less for one more bike luggage than the bike renting fee) 

so my advice is to manual zeroing your Rally before every ride (and turn off this auto gimmick) and in your case still in the (living)room 

• Why not? It takes like 5 seconds.

• Why not?  Because riding with a Stages Power meter doesn't require calibration prior to every ride and that's the world I have been in for the past eight or so years.

• I never manually calibrate my pedals before each ride. And I haven’t had any fluctuation in power whatsoever.

• that is a huge mistake, the Stages must be calibrated before every ride :D  but the fact that you bought a stages was an another huge mistake... 

• It’s been a while, but I was curious on your thoughts on calibrating inside but then the pedals go to sleep again before I’m outside? 

I ask because I think that’s the case when I navigate through my apartment building to get outside. 

• I've had this happen as well. One idea is to calibrate just before you exit the building, preferably in a space where the air temperature isn't dramatically different from your apartment (lobby, for example). The main thing is to avoid calibrating right after a big temperature change as that's where the trouble can occur --- the pedals are still cooling / warming to the ambient temperature.

Another idea is to rotate the crank every few minutes during your trip down from your apartment to prevent the pedals from going to sleep again.