This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge Explore general questions

Hey guys,

I got a new Road bike and I am looking for a cycling computer.
The thing is, I don't know much about it.

The first topic is: I have already a Fenix 7X, is it worth buying a cycling computer like Edge Explore when already having a Fenix 7x?

Second topic: I know there are more modern model, but I am looking at the Edge Explore, because the company where I work gives us some point based rewards, which we can expend in selected items in their website, the edge explore is one of those items (no other models are available). So technically I am not "paying" for it
In the Garmin page I couldn't see that much of differences in features compared to newest models (besides the battery capacity).
Nowadays is it still a good gadget or the other models are far superior? 

I see that the battery lasts for 12h.
Is there auto pause feature?
If I do a bike trip (let's say two days), is it possible to stop the activity and resume it later (so the activity is stored as a whole instead of multiple activities)?

• Please note, that the Edge Explore is mainly a device for bike touring, and less for performance/sports cycling. Its main functionality is centered around recreational navigation at the cost of more advanced sports/fitness functions. So this is the most important thing to think of when considering whether this device is for you or not.

Nowadays is it still a good gadget or the other models are far superior?

I'm still using one, and I'm relatively satisfied, although it has some annoying issues.

I see that the battery lasts for 12h.

This is somewhat optimistic.

Is there auto pause feature?

Yes, there is.

If I do a bike trip (let's say two days), is it possible to stop the activity and resume it later

No.

• Hi tmk2,

Thank you for the feedback.
    I do many recreational navigation, but at this point I think my watch is good enough for it.

I am looking more towards the performance cycling. Any bike computer recommendation?

• All I've been using so far is the Edge Explore, so I cannot recommend anything else direclty, but basing solely on officialy published features (without analyzing how well they work in real world) I would recommend you to consider the following:

Edge Explore 2 - Good navigation capability, some advanced training capability (more than the first edge explore, less than other more sports oriented edge models)

Edge 530 - Basic navigation capability, advanced training capability. This is an old model (although with no successor yet), but can be bought real cheap nowadays.

Edge 830 - Good navigation capability, advanced training capability. This is about the same generation as the 530, slightly more expensive

Edge 1040 - Top-of-the-line in all respects, quite recent, very expensive. Get it if money is not an issue.

• Rumour has it that edge 540 and edge 840 will hit the shelves very soon...

So maybe it's worth waiting another 2-3 weeks.

• For some reason I didn't see your last reply before. Thanks for the detailed info. 

Regarding the 540 840, this is good news.

I can get some discount in the 1040 with the company I work with, but it still pricey (solar for 599 and non solar dir 420).

I guess I will wait a couple of week to see how much the 540 and 840 will cost. 

• see how much the 540 and 840 will cost

Some not-100%-confirmed-but-plausible info on the pricing of the new edge units can be found here:

https://the5krunner.com/2023/03/26/finally-garmin-edge-540-and-540-solar-specs/

More important question is: Will we see a further price drop for the older 530 and 830?