This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Saving/downloading current firmware before updating? And how to revert

Hi, I'm currently on 5.10 and can upgrade to 5.40 but I heard there are some issues. Well my 5.10 also has issues so I would like to try the new firmware but can I save or download the current firmware to revert it if needed?

thanks

• USB connect the Explore to the PC. Then let Garmin Express install the update software. The first step in this process is that GE copy's the new software to the Explore in an update file GUPDATE.GCD - the actual update on the device is activated after disconnect & restart of the device. Before detach you can save the update file GUPDATE.GCD from the folder ..\Garmin to your PC. You can also delete the update file after having copied it to the PC in case you decide to stay on the current software but having a newer version in stock for future use, for example to be able to revert from a new version say 5.50 to 5.40.
    In case you have a collection of update files for different software versions, store the update files on the PC with file names containing the version number, like GUPDATE_510.GCD, GUPDATE_540.GCD, etc.. Remember to allways rename such a file to GUPDATE.GCD on the device to be able to being recognized as a software update file. The file should be in the folder ..\Garmin and you just have to detach and restart the device to be able to activate the update.

NOTE you cannot save the current software 5.10 from the device to the PC. In case you are already on 5.40 and you want to revert to 5.10 you'll have to ask - for example here on the forum - if somebody can send a copy of the 5.10 update file to you. You cannot download it from Garmin.

• Thank you, so I'm looking for the 5,10 file from someone Slight smile

• You should change your profile to enable sending/receiving private messages (PM's). :)

It's in Settings

• Just changed it :)

• So I'm actually trying to revert from 5.4 to 5.10 now on my friends Edge but it wont work. If I just copy the file it will delete it and if I make it read only it still does nothing.

I put the GUPDATE.GCD in the /garmin folder

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 1 year ago in reply to 8320953
    [deleted]
  • No both are 5,40 but his does have issues so I wanted to revert firmware and maybe go back to 5.40 then see if that fixes it.

Its an european device/

• Former Member
    [deleted]
  • All those links are invalid :(

• Former Member
    [deleted]