This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Routing problem with new 2021.10 map update

I've just installed the new map update to my Explore. It seems to have installed successfully.

I was interested to see if this improves routing using the device.

I'm in the UK. I have noticed that with this update, routing is now pulled very very strongly towards national cycle routes. This may seem like a natural thing to do but it seems that the attraction is so strong it will cause huge diversions. This is the case even selecting the "Route for shortest distance" option.

To give an example I tried asking the device to route me from home to my place of work. A nice 6.5 mile route exists down quiet country roads which is the way I'd usually go. The Garmin Explore finds a route through a busy town and weaving around for miles (total journey 11.89 miles!). Close examination shows it is following a national cycle route for a lot of it.

None of the routing options (popularity, road vs mixed surface, avoid/allow main roads etc) make it find the good route or anything close.

I appreciate that no device is going to get the best route in every situation but to choose a 12 mile route when a 6.5 mile route exists seems really extreme. Is there a setting I'm missing? If not could I request a fix please?

Thanks,