This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge Touring - new to Garmin - quirks - route calculation failed

Hi,

I have just got a Edge Touring (sorry could find a forum for the Touring)

As I am new to it, it might be just I am not using it in the best way :)

Several times now whilst following a route I have got the error message "route calculation failed"

At the moment I am only using it on local rides that I know, I thought it was failing because I had taken a slightly different route to the one I uploaded.  

But this morning I was on a new route, which I did not know well and so was sticking to the route.

It did it again, I stopped,  started the route again and let it do its calculation. However within a few mins it stopped again?

I had saved my home address in there, what did work well was it found my way home :)

At the moment I would be be confident to use it in an area I don't know. 

My rides are planed on my pc and exported as a gpx file.

The Unit is then connected to my pc and the ride file copied into Garmin - new file folder.

The times it has stopped working  I have not noticed any particular thing just before it packs up.

Sometimes it just stops, today the route guidance stopped, but the route was still displayed on the map.

I just wondered if anyone had any ideas, as I really like the unit and the way it works, but I do need to be confident its not going to let me down if I am leading a ride.

Thanks for any help or advice,

Alex   

• How recent are your maps ? Is Garmin still updating them ? you might try to download a map of your area from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

Also check what type of route calculation you are using. Make sur it's set on Bike and not Car.

• Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I did update the map recently onto a new bigger sd card. One of the guys on here suggested copying a file from the Garmin unit onto the sd card. This then allowed the map to be downloaded straight onto the card via a card reader rather than via the unit. 

Which he said would be much quicker, it all seemed to work fine and downloaded.

So this morning I thought I would try the old map, on the old sd card.

Everything seem to work ok this morning, oh and I turn off the auto reroute too, set it to request only.

Perhaps I should delete everything on the new sd card, and then reinstall the updated map in the conventional way via the unit its self.....what do you think?

Thanks for taking the time to give me some help,

alex    

• you can always give it a try, but only activate one map at a time.

• Hi, I think I will put the new map back in, then try it with the auto re route deactivated, as today with it set to prompted it did try and reroute for no real reason. when I said no, it seem to sort its self out.

Strange,  I just want to get confident with it, if I am somewhere new once the lock down relaxes.

At the moment I am not  that confident with it.

I will have a go at the weekend  

• Be aware not having (part) of the old map on the device and the new map on the SD-card active at the same time. Better backup your device and delete the old map, for example using JaVaWa's Device Manager (https://www.javawa.nl/jdm_en.html).
    Do not delete the Worldwide NR Basemap! Using the whole map together on the 'tricked' SD-card does work flawless and map updates through Garmin Express with the SD-card in the cardreader on the PC install without issues.

Also the SD-card max size is 32GB, type SDHC (not SDXC), class 4 - 10 and formatted FAT32 on a Windows PC, or using specific SD formatting software like SD Memory Card Formatter (https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/)

Warning: Auto reroute calculates a new route to the destination while loosing your original route. If you want to preserve that, disable auto reroute.
    If you are using externally prepared tracks (or routes, but I do not prefer that) the Edge converts them to Courses. If you choose to use route directives (TBT) the device will calculate a TBT course overlay and the table of turn guides (text) using internal routing rules. At that time it ignores the user routing and avoidance settings on the device.

• Hi, thanks for your detailed reply, I am working for the next few days, I just need to read through your useful information slowly to make sure I understand it Grin

Thanks again for your help, Alex

• Hi there, I suffer from the same issue - ie during a ride I will often get ' route calculation error', with it packing up and the device not giving on screen directions. Ok whilst in areas that I know, but useless for touring.
    As far as I'm aware my mapping is up to date as I record use Garmin connect then Garmin express (and Strava) which record the ride successfully, so any updates are auto-installed.
    Perhaps I should try a new SD card? Looking for wider help here!!

• Hi there,

It seemed to help mine after I turned off the auto re route function (as someone said above), what I then noted was it did ask a few times did I want to re route, for no particular reason, I just cancelled it and it kept working.

However, that was only on one ride, I need to try it again on the weekend.

I think I will get my sd card back to standard, then re download the latest map on my new card, then try it with auto re route off. 

Then see how that goes.... 

• Hi,

Thanks for your detailed reply, you sound very knowledgeable so thanks.

I can see me getting into a bit of a mess :) if I start deleting things off the unit.

I think I will delete the "tricked" map download off the new 32gb card, then let it do the map update in the normal way. As I reckon I will end up in a mess.

I guess I just need to put the new card in the card reader, then just delete the files, and I am good to go?

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me. Alex   

• After you have deleted all files from the new 32GB SD-card, you should copy the file GarminDevice.xml from the folder ..\Garmin on the Touring to the folder ..\Garmin on the SD-card. Then take the SD-card from the Touring and place it in the card reader. Then let Garmin Express (re-)install the Cycle Map 2020.20 - it will find your "Edge Touring" being the Sd-card.