This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Has anybody got the Connect IQ EdgeDashboard to work on the Edge Explore

I have tried to get the Connect IQ EdgeDashboard app to work on my Explore. It downloads but does not appear as a choice using the commands  "Ride Settings"/"Data Screens"/"Add New". When I used the Garmin chat facility they said they couldn't help as it was a third-party development but suggested deleting and reloading the App and if that failed to reset my GPS.  I have also tried similar Apps MyEdge and MyEdge2, with the same results - they do not appear as choices.  I have emailed the developer to check if they really are compatible.  The Edge Explore is slightly different when setting data screens.

Under the IQ Connect library they all shown as compatible - although I would imagine this is assumed rather than tested.

I am reluctant to try out random experiments if the display apps aren't actually compatible.

Thanks

---Jamie

• After "Add new" you must select "Data screen" and then you will see the added apps.

• The problem is that there is no "Data Screen" to select that corresponds to the data field apps I have added.  There are two choices shown under the message "Select a New Data Screen"  - "Bike Metrics" and "STEPS Metrics" neither of which corresponds to the data field app I am trying to use. (I didn't add them they must be built in.)  I have tried the 

When I use IQ Connect from my phone it shows that I have 4 Data field Apps (EdgeDashboard, My EDGE, MY EDGE2 and SPH Graph - SPHGraWH)  and one Device App (Strava Routes). It says I have 5 apps installed and room for a further 11 with 7.50MB space remaining.

I have tried uninstalling them all and then just installing 1.  The phone shows that it has queued and then installing and the GPS beeps and shows download complete.  However if does not show as a choice to select a new data screen.

Which is why I am wondering if anyone has successfully used them on the Edge Explore.

• Do you use Garmin Express for installing the apps? Are the apps visible in the IQ-field in Garmin Express.?

• I have used both Garmin Express and Connect IQ on my Android phone to download and view the app. If I look at the Garmin folder on the Edge Explore you can see apps loaded into the Apps directory. The app also shows up as being on my Edge Explore in the Connect IQ I Apps field.  It also allows me to alter the settings of the app in order to change things like data fields.

• Garmin Express is not available for Android. It is a program for Windows and Mac. You install it on your pc or laptop. You need it for installing maps and firmware for your Garmin devices. How do you do that now? When you download apps in the Connect IQ Store, you connect your device with the pc/laptop, open Garmin Express, choose your device, tab Connect IQ, tab download and the program puts de apps on your device.

• Sorry, perhaps my punctuation could have been better.  I use Garmin Express (currently at 7.1.3.0) on my Windows 10 desktop computer. This has allowed me to sync my Edge Explore and keep maps up to date.  It also allows me to download and manage the apps.  I also use the Connect IQ  Android app on my Android phone which can also be used to manage the apps on my Edge Explore.  I have tried both routes to see whether the problem is to do with the downloading of the data field app onto my Edge Explore.  

So Garmin Express (on Windows) shows that the app is present on the Connect IQ window and on my device:

Screen shop of Garmin Express on my desktop connected with my Edge Explore showing downloaded apps.

I have tried several of the data field apps,  my plan is to try a different data field app and then perhaps look at how to develop my own app.

My theory is that they are not compatible with the  Edge Explore.  The method of loading a different data screen is slightly different on the Explore as it doesn't have profile settings (which can each have their own screen selections) it only has ride settings?

---Jamie

• The apps you tried are compatible. I have tried. Here the steps on my device (in Dutch):

• Thank you for this - it shows me where there is divergence.

Pic 1:  Data Screens   - yes

Pic 2:  Add New           - yes

Pic 3: Data Screens is not an option on my screen - the Group Screen option  is already on my list of screens

Just to check is your GPS an Edge Explore (it looks like one)?

My device is running version 5.20 of the firmware.

I have tried removing the GroupTrack List from the live screens and it reverts back to being an option on the Select a New Data Screen list. 

So the next step is to investigate why it is not appearing.  Is there is a strange download issue?  After that I guess I will reset my GPS to see if that fixes it. (After backing it up.)

Thank you for your responses so far, I can now see where it diverges from what it should be.

---Jamie

• It turns out that you can only have two possible data screens on an Edge Explore. I deleted one of the data screens and then the downloaded App option appeared and was selectable

This is actually another one of the data field apps with a speedo.

So this is the screen which shows the data screens, Only two screens are allowed "Screen 1" and "Screen 2". I had to remove one of them first by clicking on it and then clicking "Remove" Then use  "Add New"  then select Data Screens and it presents  a list to choose from - go to the bottom select it and it then becomes one of the viewable screens.

This is the comment that helped me once I started looking in a more focused way at the pages of comments that the Connect IQ apps collect.

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/4262c271-a0b7-4e7b-abc6-b9527668b027?tab=reviews&criteria=createdDate&ascending=false&displayCurrentVersion=true&start=25

George Smith
    October 17, 2018

After cursing this, I found out that the reason it would not work on Garmin Edge Explore was that the allowance of 2 Data Screens had been achieved. Event worked when I deleted one. The screen layout is fantastic and so far I have only tested it during a walk but I'm sure it will work during cycling.

Once again thank you very much ldpnl for your kind help. I would probably not have kept going without it

---Jamie