This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Display two maps simultaneously?

Recently picked up an Edge Explore to replace my aging Edge 800. First impressions are positive: device is fast and responsive, screen is brighter and sharper, UI is better, and it's nice to have bluetooth for syncing.

Downloaded some maps, including:
  • OSM (more trails than base map, 82 ft contours)
  • NE Topo (no trails, 40 ft contours)
Is there a way to display two map layers simultaneously? Would be nice to see the 40 ft contours and trails together.

On a side note, I followed the prompts to download Garmin's updated USA map, and it's the best "included" map I've ever seen on a GPS: 100 ft contour lines, most trails, and very clean. I may end up just using it most of the time.
  • Having the same question (displaying two *.img files simultanesouly) I wonder if you found an answer to this quesiton yet?

• I have shown one map and layer with cycle paths at the same time. Everything is OK. I think 2 maps will not work at the same time.

• It's been quite a while since I last fiddled with garmin maps on garmin devices, but as far as I can remember, two maps can be displayed simultaneously as long as one of them is designed as an "overlay" map (or something like that). Regular maps cannot be displayed simultaneously. Somebody correct me if I got something confused.

• that would make sense. I have downloaded a map from opentopomap (.org) and there are two files. One of these is named _overlay and it only contains the contour lines. So it seems possible but which devices will "understand" and display contour lines correct?

• Perhaps all of them?

• @tmk2 you might be right. At least my really old Edge 800 shows the opentopomap together with the contour lines. I have just copied the two files onto the mircro SD card. There was enough space to add this map to the already installed "gmapsupp.img" map. Changing the map in the settings and everything was fine - with contours :-)