This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Real-world battery life

So how is everyone's battery life?

I'm currently getting about 9h with the following settings:

-Power save on
-All Wake-ups disabled (screen never turns on unless touched)
-Smart recording
-Display brightness 0%
-no active routing, one track is selected as "show always"
-about 20-30min. Of active routing per day
-no ant+ sensors (all paired are disabled)

This is really short battery life for a day of riding, and since the unit is as power conservative as possible before turning it off... I'm thinking if I got a defective battery maybe?
  • I use 3.00. But I guess 2.10 would be the same, no mention about changing battery life.
  • Battery life has improved after the map-failing-issue was resolved, now I'm getting about 12h under above mentioned conditions. (Still quite low in my opinion for the 12h advertised, that they should only be reached being very power conservative.
  • We have two units bought May 2020, software 5.10, both behaving the same:

Battery life 4 hours with two sensors on. The route navigation is messing up continuously, no TBT, no recalculation ( only u-turn), jamming etc. etc.

All in all Garmin Edge Explore is a huge disappointment and a substandard product.

• We have two units bought May 2020, software 5.10, both behaving the same:

Battery life 4 hours with two sensors on. The route navigation is messing up continuously, no TBT, no recalculation ( only u-turn), jamming etc. etc.

All in all Garmin Edge Explore is a huge disappointment and a substandard product.

• I have a complete opposite experience with this device. Perfect routing, also with recalculations. Also battery live is very good even with backlght at 20%. On some really long tours (200 to 300 km) I have a small battery pack attached. Also plenty of sensors connected (HR, cadance, speed, remote control, Varia Radar and Virb Ultra 30). I don't use the standard map, but the Openfietsmap, very actual and detailed.
    I guess playing with your settings and maybe other maps, you could be more satisfied with this Edge. I abolutely don't see it as a substandard product compared to my other Garmin devices (Fenix5, Oregon 700). And no, with my Garmin arsenal I'm not commited to Garmin in any way.

• Just browse around internet and various forums about the subject and you’ll notice that the experience of many users is like mine. As Garmin has indirectly admitted this by accepting to replace the faulty units there is no doubt that the low battery life is a real problem, hopefully for a limited production rum though.

• YEah, but that mostly happens on any device you search for, you read more complaints then compliments on forums. Of course you can have a faulty device. Happened to my Fenix watch as well, got an unacceptable battery counsumption and corroding charging pins. The replacement I got is flawless now for several months. I hope you get your device also replaced under warranty. I know many co-riders using this Edge and are very satisfied, as I they don't need all the extra's from the more expensive Edges. But routing is the same on all of them and works pretty well. Only thing I miss is the barometer sensor for more acurate heights and connection with Tempe sensor.

• Garmin support have accepted to replace our Edge Explores as the battery performance doesn’t meet the specs.

So, this time compliments to Garmin for good customer service Thumbsup

• Hi SalsaRider, I'm experiencing similar battery drain. Is the new unit better?  How did you persuade customer service for a replacement?