This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

GPS accuracy

Conscious that there are a few threads on GPS accuracy on the new sony chipset.  I'm seeing far more variability in my real time GPS track (basically monitoring speed) than my previous Edge 1000.  I've applied the beta chipset release and am running the unit in GPS + Glonass, which I think is the recommended setting to produce the best results. 

Do I just need to accept it's a new chip set that will hopefully improve over time or is there something else I can do?

• I think that we will have just accept it is a new chipset and so the situation should hopefully improve in time.  I can't think of anything else that you could possibly do really.

• For many years now Garmin has used the general public as beta testers by charging full price for a new product that's clearly at least a year too early. I'm convinced zero testing happens and it just goes to market and the kinks get worked out on the backs of user input. Genius... rather than pay people to develop solid FW we just get to pay to do it for them 

• The Galileo GPS was down for a couple of days https://www.cnet.com/news/eus-galileo-satellites-have-been-down-for-days/ and what i have seen on the www, from today the system is running again and should work now. Not for the full 100% but it should not take long for full operation.

Galileo is more precise.

• Hello all,

10 months later as a new user of Edge 830, I am badly disappointed about this device GPS tracking.

I'm going to funny insinuations here but, I have the feeling that Garmin tested this device in the desert navigating from A to B in a straight line. 

If they actually tested it in any average city environment, I wonder who was that QA that looked at the track, said "yeah that's good enough" and then signed off for production. 

As other users implied on the forum, this may not be a software issue. If it was software, should have been fixed in 1 year. 

Loaded latest firmware 5.50 yesterday, did a full factory reset & delete data, had a ride in the morning and another one in the afternoon. 

Here are some snippets from my second ride with 5.50 firmware, 1 sec recording and GPS + GLONASS. 

1. This is at the beginning (really windy side) and the end of the trip (slightly more straight). At the beginning you could argue that "soaking" of satellites was not enough if that really counts but when I see green GPS bars I assume Garmin did their math and GPS lock is OK. 

Environment is a 30-40m wide boulevard with 7 to 10 story buildings on each side - tour and retour on opposite sides of the boulevard. 

2. This is me going on a straight bicycle path according to Garmin, after 5 minutes from the start - tour and retour on the same bike path 3 meters wide. 

It really puzzles me because the environment is not so difficult, just some trees and far across the boulevard some 3-4 story buildings. The deviation seems to be about the same size as the scale (30 meters).

3. Next, tour and retour on the exact same bike path (3 meters wide) with medium tree coverage. Again looking at the scale, deviation seems to be 20 - 30 meters. That's on a straight line because when cornering it gets worse.

And the examples can go on and on unfortunately.