This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

larger routes and navigation

Hi Community

I create routes in Strava, export as GPX and load manually into Edge 820. This works fine for routes up to about 100 km, but not for larger ones:

• I wait until the route is computed, but the Edge starts computing again after the start.
  • Sometimes it computes for half an hour while cycling. When it reaches 98% it starts all over at 0%.
  • While it computes it doesn't indicate directions.
  • However, it alerts about deviations from the route, but without showing new directions.
  • Sometimes this happens during the whole route which makes the navigation function completely useless.
  • Sometimes it starts showing directions 20 km prior to the end of the course.
  • Recording always works, as does displaying parameters.
  • All maps are the default ones, all software and map updates done.

Questions:

• Do I do something wrong?
  • Is this normal behavior for routes > 100 km and Edge 820?
  • Do I have to buy an Edge 830?
  • Does anybody have experience with Edge 830 and larger routes?

Thanks for any hint. Mar5us.

• Now as my USB connector went south, I finally had a reason to replace my much hated Edge 820 with an Edge 530. After two rides I can say, that the new device is the same piece of *** as the old one: 

• the device doesn't know where it is after some kilometers
    • if it looses the route, it just displays "wrong route" but does not show the way back to the route
    • it is always behind, also in the beginning - showing the crossing and new direction after I passed it
    • the screen sometimes freezes and does not accept any input from any button
    • sometimes, it is beeping like crazy - one want to throw the *** piece far away

I can't believe that so many professionals have this device. And nobody complaining? Should I return the device or is this normal behavior? It seems to record the route quite well, so at  least I can navigate after I'm back from riding. But is that really all this device can do well?

• I suspect that you are the problem - not the device. However as it's a 530 you are complaining about why not do it in the 530 forum and not the 820 one.

• I guess if you read the thread, you'll see why I wrote here. Anyway, there is not much difference between x20 and x30, both devices are complete useless for navigation and waste of money. How can a company bring something like that to market? 

• Mine works fine. I'd contact Garmin support. Not a lot of point moaning here. Routes of over 100 miles - works, Navigation -works. Device knows where it is - works.

Best of luck with 530. 

• If the recalucation take place, it could mean that Edge has local settings that leads the device to rearrange the uploaded track. Try to make your device the dummiest as it can be by setting these parameters (ridewithgps.com/.../garmin-edge-820) to disable whatever local decision device could override on yours, taken through the desktop application while arranging your trip.