This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Loading Course on Edge 820 Very Slow

Hello all. I can see several threads on this, but not sure I have spotted a conclusion.

Loading a course, created in Garmin Connect onto my Edge 820 took 22 mins for a 17 mile ride.

Is this the speed expected ? Is there a workaround for t his (apart from load up the course whilst I get ready)

Thanks in advance

Jacqui

• I loaded a 100 mile ride and the course was ready to use in less than a minute. Maybe you have to many points in your course. How did you create it?

• Morning 

it was a route from a organised ride , loaded up to Garmin Connect to change the name & then synced back to device via Garmin Express
    TBH I have found this on all my courses, from 17 to 75 miles, all routes from organised rides 

thanks 

jacqui 

• I’d contact Garmin Support. That’s not right. I’ve loaded routes for organised rides in the uk, France and Spain, I’ve generated my own routes on various platforms - garmin connect, plot a route, Strava, ride with gps. 

All done over the last few years. Usually load route. After 10 or 20 ish seconds when ride appears I press ride and ( I don’t navigate to the beginning of the course) then I go. No waiting. Sometimes it says calculating when I start but it navigates and provides directions, distance to destination etc. 

best of luck with garmin support. They are usually very helpful. 
    nick

• Thanks Nick

for clarity, (maybe my wording), it loads up okay. The calculation is the issue, and mine doesn’t give directions whilst is calculating, sometimes it gets to 100% and then starts again 

if it is a ride I haven’t done for a few months then I tend to forget the route Older woman tone1

will contact Garmin, thanks for your insights 

Jacqui 

• Jacqui

I usually use TCX although I have used GPX and it’s been ok. Maybe it’s your settings for Turn directions or something like that. 

All the best with garmin. I usually find their chat line good because then I have a record of the conversation- helpful for future reference if discussing settings!

Nick

• Hi, i have same issue. Calculating last for ages! This week my ride 60km was calculating 20 minuts. Ride was prepared in Garmin Connect and then send to Edge. 

Maybe someone who doesnt have this issue can show us his navigation settings grom Edge?

• I'll just throw this out there.  Is it possible the device is low on memory?  Deleting a bunch of  rides and courses can free up some.   Have you installed any additional maps?  They can take a lot of space.  IDK how much, but  IQ apps take up space too.

A couple of times a year I deleted all the rides and unused courses after saving them elsewhere.  The rides are already uploaded to GC etc, but I also save the fit files to my computer.  Similar with courses.

• I find the same thing - though it is usually about 5min - still too long. My courses are always fit files downloaded from ridewithgps. Weirdly time taken is not specially related to course length.

What I really don't understand is why a calculation is needed if the course file and the map files haven't changed since the last calculation - surely calculation results could be stored and only refreshed if files change?

• You don’t have to wait for calculation to finish before you start riding. The directions will be there from the start. 

There is an option to recalculate if you go off course. I never have this enabled as it confuses me. However if it is enabled the device may not have you exactly on the course and may be calculating a new course. 

The recalculate option does not necessarily calculate the best way to get back to the course but tries to navigate to the end point (as I understand it). That’s why it’s very confusing for me as most of my courses are more or less circular. 

• Hi

i deleted everything on device. On advice if the support team created a course in Garmin Connect, took 6 mins to load up

i have since loaded courses from Garmin Connect & they all take about 5 - 7 mins. Support say it isn’t ideal but it is how it is