This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Disable ERG mode during workout?

My cycling coach creates all of my workout using Training Peaks and based on my FTP result.  Now this works fine most of the time, but today I have a workout which is to determine my one minute CP.   As the workout has been created as a % of FTP Training Peaks has given a min to max watts for the period.  If I ride the workout using my Garmin 820 my Tacx will auto adjust the watts to be centered within the given window, eg 250 - 450 watts for myself.

Is there a way to turn off the ERG mode so for that section alone the trainer will just allow me to try and push what I can without auto adjusting the watts?

If that is not possible is my only option to create a 0% workout and just ride that and use my gears to generate the watts accordingly to see how high I can push the one minute CP?  

• Did you find a solution for this yourself? I'm in the same boat with my Garmin 520 and an upcoming FTP test

• No.  My advice is don't perform the test in erg mode.  A lot of people suggest setting the slope to -0.5% and then performing your test.  If you use ergo mode the trainer will auto adjust which for an FTP is the wrong thing.

• FWIW:  This is not an answer to your question, but there are a lot of different types of FTP tests (and whichever you use, you should stick with that method ), but, there is one that is done in ERG mode called a "ramp test"  where power ramps up steadily and you keep going until you can't anymore.  Based on when you crap out, it calculates an FTP.   Many find this simpler to accomplish as you don't have to gauge your effort over an interval of time.  You just have to pedal until you no longer can.