This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Edge 810 keeps shutting down after booting up

My edge suddenly developed the habit of constantly shutting down. I had gone through all the forums but no one seemed to offer a solution. I broke my rubber power on off button trying to do hard resets, and so on. I now have to turn it on and off using a pen.

OK - so I thought I had broken the power button so I had nothing to lose. I connected my Garmin to my computer and displayed all the folders in MS Explorer. I then deleted EVERYTHING (folders included). NOTE: you will lose all your activities but mine are all loaded to Strava anyway.

I disconnected the garmin and powered it back on (using the tip of a pen!). ... Guess what... My Garmin was back to normal and WORKING. I have to reconfigure my screens to how I want them but the Garmin reconnected to my phone and my radar with ease and it didn't power off. I was even able to update the Garmin via the Garmin app on my iphone and do the latest software update.

Goodluck!

Mail Star Espresso

• I managed to fix this problem by deleting everything in the newfiles and courses folders.  Something must have got corrupted somewhere

• Brilliant post. Mine was doing exactly the same after I bought Europe maps and installed them on a new SIM card (don't know if that's related).  Lasted about a day behaving itself and then started powering off as soon as it booted up. Followed vickersit's instructions deleting all folders and files and hey presto, it booted fine. Reconnected to the Garmin Express app on the laptop and re-downloaded the maps to the same SIM card and it seems to work fine. If I get the same issue I'll probably try the same with a different SIM card, but fingers crossed.  Nice job, many thanks. 

• Brilliant post. Mine was doing exactly the same after I bought Europe maps and installed them on a new SIM card (don't know if that's related).  Lasted about a day behaving itself and then started powering off as soon as it booted up. Followed vickersit's instructions deleting all folders and files and hey presto, it booted fine. Reconnected to the Garmin Express app on the laptop and re-downloaded the maps to the same SIM card and it seems to work fine. If I get the same issue I'll probably try the same with a different SIM card, but fingers crossed.  Nice job, many thanks.