This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

import routes with waypoints

Hello,

curious about how people put routes/tracks with waypoints into edge or fenixes on the go, from the android phone?
dynamic watch/routecourse adverties it can do this in premium version but before cashing out I would like to know is there any other way?
I tried gimporter/gexporter combo but unfortunately it doesn't transfer points.

Thanks.
Igor.
  • Garmin calls them "course points". They are kind of like waypoints but work a bit differently.

You don't say where your routes are being created.

==================

RWGPS will add course points to the FIT file you can choose to download.

You can use gexporter/gimporter to transfer FIT files.

Note that some devices can import FIT files and others can import GPX files (one or the other; not both.) The gexporter app will convert the files (it might only convert GPX to FIT). The Edges import FIT files. The hiking devices import GPX files. I don't know what the Fenixes import.

I like the gimporter/gexporter approach better because it avoid the "yet another website to faff with" that the dynamic watch requires. Also, since gimporter/gexporter just transfers file from your Android device, you have other options for creating routes that doesn't need internet access.

==============================

GPX files don't have course points (though, they can have waypoints/locations*). Only FIT and TCX files have course points.

* Garmin IQ doesn't let you import waypoints from GPX files.
  • From my android phone I open the gpx with the Garmin Connect app and then send the Course to my F5.
  • Garmin calls them "course points". They are kind of like waypoints but work a bit differently.

You don't say where your routes are being created.

==================

RWGPS will add course points to the FIT file you can choose to download.

You can use gexporter/gimporter to transfer FIT files.

Note that some devices can import FIT files and others can import GPX files (one or the other; not both.) The gexporter app will convert the files (it might only convert GPX to FIT). The Edges import FIT files. The hiking devices import GPX files. I don't know what the Fenixes import.

I like the gimporter/gexporter approach better because it avoid the "yet another website to faff with" that the dynamic watch requires. Also, since gimporter/gexporter just transfers file from your Android device, you have other options for creating routes that doesn't need internet access.

==============================

GPX files don't have course points (though, they can have waypoints/locations*). Only FIT and TCX files have course points.

* Garmin IQ doesn't let you import waypoints from GPX files.

Hi,

i plan routes in locus map. I can't export to FIT file from that app, only to gpx or tcx. I tried both file formats and import them into basecamp, and course points are there and shown.
    I tried gimporter/exporter way, and although mark "import course points" in gexporter, no course points get to garmin edge.
  • i plan routes in locus map. I can't export to FIT file from that app, only to gpx or tcx. I tried both file formats and import them into basecamp, and course points are there and shown.

I'm somewhat familiar with Locus.

Again, "course points" are a part of TCX (and FIT). "Course points" are a Garmin specific thing and TCX is a Garmin format.

Only a few a Garmin devices use "course points" (the Edges).

GPX is a standard format. One can add nonstandard things to it but those things won't be read by other things because they don't know about it. These nonstandard things would be in the file but not really part of GPX.

TCX and GPX are examples of XML files.

If Locus manages to get "course points" with GPX, then Locus is doing something non-standard. I'd have to actually see it to believe it works (it's very strange). Nothing else would expect "course points" in a GPX file.

It's even weirder. "Course points" are only usable by devices that use TCX files. There is no purpose to adding "course points" to a GPX file if one can create TCX files! Writing "course points" to a GPX file is useless because nothing else would be able to use them (because they wouldn't expect them to be there). And they are only used by a few Garmin devices anyway.

I tried gimporter/exporter way, and although mark "import course points" in gexporter, no course points get to garmin edge.

It's no surprise it didn't work.

Gexporter (the Android app) has no expectation that any GPX file would contain "course points" (they would be extra, nonstandard stuff in the GPX file).

Gexporter will convert GPX to fit but it can't include non-standard stuff.

If you want to import "course points" through gexporter, you have to use FIT files (and the FIT files have to contain the "course points").
  • There is no purpose to adding "course points" to a GPX file if one can create TCX files! Writing "course points" to a GPX file is useless because nothing else would be able to use them (because they wouldn't expect them to be there). And they are only used by a few Garmin devices anyway.

I just tried to export gpx from locus with points into suunto movescount(I also own Ambit2), and guess what? They are all there, with names as I named them in locus, elevations, only icons obviously can't be transfered.

I can't unfortunately export my tracks as FIT file on android phone. Thanks for your help.

• Standard GPX files can contain waypoints (it's a normal thing to do). But waypoints are not "course points".

"Course points" are kind-of like waypoints but associated with the track.

"Course points" are a Garmin thing. It's possible that Suunto but not likely.

I suspect you are getting waypoints on the Suuto. That wouldn't be surprising at all.

The Garmin Edges keep waypoints as "locations".
  • Thanks dpawlyk for expalanations and patience, I tested some yesterday afternoon and you are right. I'm actually exporting points that happen to be "on track", but not part of the track. Now, Suunto interprets those as actual points on route, you can use ETA to next waypoint, remaining elevation to waypoint etc, on garmin these are just some POIs on track.
  • It's too bad the idea of "course points" hasn't been adopted generally (made part of the GPX standard).
  • I just tried to import some route (tcx) into garmin connect, there is option in connect mobile app to add points there(peak,water, etc) and sent course to device. Not even then i see those points in edge. I simply don't see a way, I give up.
  • I just tried to import some route (tcx) into garmin connect, there is option in connect mobile app to add points there(peak,water, etc) and sent course to device. Not even then i see those points in edge. I simply don't see a way, I give up.

You can add them in RWGPS and they will show up on the device.