This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Gps / glonass / galileo

Hi, I've always had my Garmin set to "GPS only" as I read here that using "GPS + GLONASS" used battery life more intensively. And I have to say, it always works fine. Perhaps some slight inaccuracy if I'm cycling under tree canopies, or close to tall buildings, but never enough to make navigation difficult, or to make any recorded routes inaccurate.

Are there any advantages to switching on the GLONASS or GALILEO settings?

Is GALILEO any kinder to batteries than GLONASS?

I can see some technical differences between these systems via a Google search, but in terms of what works best out on the road, why do we need a choice of settings? What's the advantage of the third option included in the latest firmware?

Can anyone help with any of this?
  • ...amd might need access to a larger number of satellites to improve position information, particularly in the higher latitudes in the north and south hemispheres and urban environments.

That too (that's the reason that people typically already know about).

• Having access to more satellites is helpful for accuracy but it seems that any of them used alone would generally be as accurate (glonass, as you said, has better polar coverage).

Galileo is more modern than either GPS or glonass) and it's supposedly more accurate (but it's not quite completely implemented). Maybe, glonass has coverage gaps?).

GPS alone (often, with supplemental ground-based signals, like WAAS) provided "reasonable performance". Why would the others (Galileo, especially) require GPS for reasonable performance?
  • there are blank gps positions for 1 sec (no lan/lon datas, probably the gps chipset or the main one is freezing for 1s) and this cause it for sure (course lost/found issue). I'm curious that the V11.10 will solve it or not...
  • Check out this comparative data in challenging urban environments: https://www.gsa.europa.eu/newsroom/news/results-are-galileo-increases-accuracy-location-based-services Out door canyons are just as challenging as urban canyons and Galileo is better in this test.