This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Elite Direto smart trainer wrong speed

Hi,
I have purchased an Elite Direto Smart Trainer.
When i connect it to Edge 820 as Indoor Trainer Sensor, and the wheel circunference set to 175 as Elite says, the speed is only of 2-3 km/h, very low.

If I disable Indoor Trainer Sensor and enable Cad/Speed sensor of the same Elite Direto trainer with 175 wheel circunference, the speed is correct.
???????

What is the correct wheel circunference configuration for good speed readings.

Best Regards,
  • Circumference of a 700c x 23 tire is normally around 2100mm or 210cm. I'm not sure what what 175 might refer to.
  • Hi,
    I have purchased an Elite Direto Smart Trainer.
    When i connect it to Edge 820 as Indoor Trainer Sensor, and the wheel circunference set to 175 as Elite says, the speed is only of 2-3 km/h, very low.

If I disable Indoor Trainer Sensor and enable Cad/Speed sensor of the same Elite Direto trainer with 175 wheel circunference, the speed is correct.
    ???????

What is the correct wheel circunference configuration for good speed readings.

Best Regards,

If you connect the garmin to the smart trainer sensor, it is advisable to leave the wheel size at 2096 (the default value) and then move it to "auto". This value s relevant for the speed displayed only when you train with direct control of the trainer by the garmin (paired as controllable trainer by ANt+ FE-C). If you are using zwift or other app, you want to pair with the direto speed/cadence sensor, and the wheel size for this sensor to be 173. IN this case, if you also turn on the garmin, you should avoid pairing it with the controllable trainer sensor (better disconnect the sensor). Please note that manually changing the wheel size in the controllable trainer sensor from the default 2096 value has been reported to cause resistance drops and inconsistent resistance issues in zwift, even when the garmin is off; https://forums.zwift.com/t/no-resistance-feedback-on-elite-direto/2448/22
  • Mine has issues with speed and cadence... Cadence is around half what it should show.. any ideas?

• This trainer, like many others, estimates cadence by looking at power pulses as you pedal, two power pulses (usually due to the left and right pedal) is interpreted as one crank revolution.  This isn't very reliable and depends on how you are pedaling.  A separate cadence sensor that directly senses crank  rotations will be much better, particularly with rapid cadence changes and pedaling at high cadence with low resistance.  If you are having problems with the cadence being reported under normal pedaling against resistance, it'd probably be best to contact Elite.

• Hmmm. I’m getting exactly the same since I connected as a Smart Trainer. Did you find an answer?

• for what it is worth I have the same setup (820 and Direto) and do not have either a speed or cadence issue.  The one thing I did do was download the Elite app for my phone, and setup the device from there.  I don't know if that matters, but I get cadence that seems about right, and speed that is in the ballpark.  (But speed seems to still be a bit low.  I think it bases itself on cadence and does not take power into account.

• Speed is based on rpm of the trainer irrespective of power or cadence, just as it would be based on rpm of the wheel while riding out on the road.

• It depends on what device you are using to capture the speed/cadence data. 

If you are using the MyETraining app, use your normal well circumference e.g. 2086 for a 700 x 20C

If you are using a Garmin device, use a compensated value. For the Direto, divide the wheel circumference by 12.1 and use this new number as your wheel circumference in your Garmin device setting.

This page lists the various conversion factors

elitesrl.zendesk.com/.../360001046434-Speed-value-configuration-with-MyETraining-and-third-party-apps

• So helpful. Now my Direto show right values on garmin egde 530. 

Thank you.