This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Poor Quality product + Unreliable Grade info

The Hardware & Firmware quality if this product is totally unacceptable. You pay that much, and you got a unreliable product.
Honestly, I don't know how the Garmin Software developers managed to keep their job so far!
The grade information is a total joke: Totally unreliable.
My recommendation to a friend who is in the market for a new toy: DO NOT BUY THIS PIECE OF COVFEFE

From a very unsatisfied customer.
  • Altimeter for elevation, speed sensor for speed/distance. I've been doing some testing of the app, seems to be working quite well, maybe a bit too sensitive at times. However, the grade is HORRIBLY affected by the wind, a sudden gust could change it from 18% to 5%. It was never this bad on the Edge 810. Probably the reason the grade on 820 is GPS based - poor placement of the barometric sensor on the device. Which they then tried to mask by GPS based grade. Really a badly designed device then, not much else to say.
  • Sorry to revive this old thread, just got an 820 last week and was shocked to discover this issue even with FW11. Like a previous poster, I also had an 810 before (still have it, in fact), which reacts instantly to any gradient change. So is it confirmed that 820 grade calculation is purely GPS-based, while the 810 had barometric grade calculation? I got the 820 specifically for mountain biking, so if the GPS signal is weak (i.e. in wooded areas), basically the device becomes useless for displaying gradients for short steep hills? Btw, I have a wheel sensor but haven't tested it yet with the 820, but the 820 on its own is very disappointing to say the least
  • Sorry to revive this old thread, just got an 820 last week and was shocked to discover this issue even with FW11. Like a previous poster, I also had an 810 before (still have it, in fact), which reacts instantly to any gradient change. So is it confirmed that 820 grade calculation is purely GPS-based, while the 810 had barometric grade calculation? I got the 820 specifically for mountain biking, so if the GPS signal is weak (i.e. in wooded areas), basically the device becomes useless for displaying gradients for short steep hills? Btw, I have a wheel sensor but haven't tested it yet with the 820, but the 820 on its own is very disappointing to say the least

I own the 820 for almost 2 years now and it was a replacement for my edge 800. The 820 is the reason to switch to Wahoo. So many irritating issues and someone has to ask himself if Garmin ever tested the Edge 820 in real life. The touch screen makes me mad, totally unresponsive or laggy, even in the highest sensitive setting. If the Edge 820 is connected or disconnnected from power it always switches on. It's not possible to just follow a track on the map without routing. Battery drain is a joke when navigation is used. The FW 9.00 update published last year made the device neraly impossible to use and pairing with my iPhone was broken. FW 10 fixed the pairing ssues finally, but my trust in Garmin is still broken.
  • Happy with the touchscreen responsiveness so far, and no complaints about the battery either (it's almost new though). But I find the gradient lag annoying
  • The stalling of the navigation was what I had and eventually traced it to using the one piece Version 1 speed and cadence sensor. Installing the Version 2 ended this problem entirely. After that the problems were that it would do crazy things after a new firmware revision. I figured that this was because the new firmware was not properly restarting so I manually reset it and these problems disappeared. This is somewhat of a pain because you then have to reset the screens, but better than then looney tunes problems. I cannot believe that the Garmin firmware programmers wouldn't know how to restart the program after new firmware so I can only assume that the hardware is different over time.