This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to add a .gpx course to Edge 820 without a computer?

Has anyone figured out a streamlined way to add a .gpx file as a new course to device without a computer? I know I can use USB-on-the-go cable and add files to NewFiles folder, but I'd rather figure out a way to do it without extra cables.

My typical workflow with previous Edge devices has been:
- Save .gpx file to phone
- Put map microsd from Edge to phone
- Add .gpx to NewFiles folder
- Put microsd back to Edge
- Reboot and continue riding

This isn't possible as 820 doesn't have a microsd slot. Usually I have all the needed courses on the device, but I came across this problem a few times every year. And when I do I don't think I've remembered to pack the usb-otg cable either...
  • Download the Connect IQ app routeCourse. This connects with the web site DynamicWatch, where, using your phone or tablet browser, you can plot out a gpx course. It then transfers and syncs with the IQ app via bluetooth.
  • Download the Connect IQ app routeCourse. This connects with the web site DynamicWatch, where, using your phone or tablet browser, you can plot out a gpx course. It then transfers and syncs with the IQ app via bluetooth.

dwMap looks like a swiss army knife with little bit of everything. I'm looking to just move a single file.
    I'll check it out.
  • As @ROGERINNYC suggests, our routeCourse app is the one that does what you want, the wireless easy transfer of routes to the Edge. dwMap serves a different need (it adds the map display and turn-by-turn directions feature to Garmin watches that do not have it) and has a lot more features, but they duplicate many that are built into your Edge (and hence we do not offer dwMap for the Edge).
  • I agree with above. A premium account on dynamic.watch ($9.99/year) is all you need. You can send Strava routes, RWGPS, or simply click on your phone to create a route and press save. Then fire up your Garmin and it's there. Import GPX from Dropbox etc.
  • I have .. sort of solved my problem. I can use my Edge 1000 and use Garmin transfer to share the files. This is ridiculous, but it works. :)
    Just put the .gpx to to NewFiles with phone and put card in Edge 1000 and transfer to 820.
  • How do you connect to the edge 1000 with a phone? Do you put the memory card in the phone?

HOW TO LOAD A GPX WITH ONLY A PHONE:

1. A other solution is to upload the GPX to the Garmin Connect website (You can access this in browser of the phone).
    Go the "Activities"
    Add an "Activity" with +-button and choose "import data"
    (second option is profile page and choose "Import data")

Give you "Activity" a name and follow the steps.

2. After you finish online, go back to the Garmin Connect app on you phone.
    Sync your phone, go to "All activities" and update by pulling the screen down...

3. Now you can sync your edge 820 with you phone....

4. On your edge go to menu "History" > "Rides" > load the desired "route" and create a "Course"

So....
  • How do you connect to the edge 1000 with a phone? Do you put the memory card in the phone?

HOW TO LOAD A GPX WITH ONLY A PHONE:

1. A other solution is to upload the GPX to the Garmin Connect website (You can access this in browser of the phone).
    Go the "Activities"
    Add an "Activity" with +-button and choose "import data"
    (second option is profile page and choose "Import data")

Give you "Activity" a name and follow the steps.

2. After you finish online, go back to the Garmin Connect app on you phone.
    Sync your phone, go to "All activities" and update by pulling the screen down...

3. Now you can sync your edge 820 with you phone....

4. On your edge go to menu "History" > "Rides" > load the desired "route" and create a "Course"

So....

In this context I have to put the micro sd card to phone and then back to Edge 1000.
    I've used the bogus activity to course way to make courses, but that is both overly complicated and it doesn't work from phone (as far as I know).