This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to change map for Europe instead of North America?

Hello,

Recently got a new 820 and am heading to Spain in a few days.
With my 520, I was able to get a map from OpenStreetMaps and copy it over the existing map on the device.
With the 820, there seem to be a few extra files on the device:
gmapbmap.img which is the one I would change on the 520. It is 7 MB in size currently.
gmapdem.img which is 3.5 GB in size.
gmapgc.img which is 1.4GB
gmapprom.img which is 2.1 GB.

Question is: how do I replace the map correctly?
Thanks!
  • Hello,

Recently got a new 820 and am heading to Spain in a few days.
    With my 520, I was able to get a map from OpenStreetMaps and copy it over the existing map on the device.
    With the 820, there seem to be a few extra files on the device:
    gmapbmap.img <world basemap: not much detail>which is the one I would change on the 520. It is 7 MB in size currently.
    gmapdem.img <elevation data: used for picking routes based on elevation gain.>which is 3.5 GB in size.
    gmapgc.img <"geocode": used for POI and address lookups>which is 1.4GB
    gmapprom.img <the main map for your region: this is used for routing and displaying details>which is 2.1 GB.

Question is: how do I replace the map correctly?
    Thanks!

Just copy the "gmapsupp.img" file to "\Garmin". (You can rename this to something else. Just don't use a name that is already being used.)

Don't replace/remove any of the other files.

On the 820, you can have multiple maps and enable/disable each of them appropriately. This is the case for all of the Garmins that support maps since the 800 (the 520 doesn't quite support maps).

(Have fun in Spain!)
  • Thanks!

Thanks for your reply. I'll do the update as you suggest.

There seems to be an issue with the OpenStreetMap website tonight as I get the confirmation of my map "order" but haven't received the 2nd email with the actual link yet.
    Tried multiple times but still no 2nd email. Oh well!

Ah yes Spain, it is always amazing in the Girona / Costa Brava region where I go. Much better there than deep in Québec snow.
    Cheers.

RJ
  • Thanks for your reply. I'll do the update as you suggest.

There seems to be an issue with the OpenStreetMap website tonight as I get the confirmation of my map "order" but haven't received the 2nd email with the actual link yet.
    Tried multiple times but still no 2nd email. Oh well!

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

Be patient. It could take a few hours.

I've used that site frequently and have found it reliable.

I don't know when you are leaving but if you don't get the confirmation(s) by tomorrow, try http://extract.bbbike.org/ You might need to use the non-Unicode map.
  • it really doesn't work for me... I don't know anymore what to do...

I even payed for the Europe maps in the Garmon website but "not enough space".  really?? 

• Same for me. Just bought Africa and not enough space to install it on my 830...

• It's been a long while since I did this but I believe you need to remove the gmapxxx disk image files from the Garmin directory on your Edge and save them to somewhere on your computer.  There are two on my Edge but there may be more if you already have more than one map on your device. These are fairly big files, 6.9 and 0.57 meg in my case.  Then copy the new gmapsupp.img file to the Garmin folder on the Edge.  Start the Edge and it will take a few minutes for it digest the new map file and boot up.

• The maps from Garmin are often more than people actually need and you have to pay for updates. People usually don’t need a whole continent. 

You can get free maps for just the region you need (which means you need less space).

https://garmin.bbbike.org/

Make sure you use a “Latin” version (Unicode won’t work).

One issue with bbbike custom regions is that they have a maximum size.