This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Edge 820 and Strava Live Segments: how does it work?

Garmin Edge 820 and Strava Live Segments:
I can´t really get that working

Garmin Connect is connected to Strava (Premium), all new activities are synced.
At https://connect.garmin.com/modern/account Strava is only listed as „read“

At Strava https://www.strava.com/athlete/segments/starred I marked several segments as favorites (with star)
At https://connect.garmin.com/modern/segments I only see the „old Garmin segments“, nothing new from Strava.

On the 820 at Training|Segments I only see: No Segments saved.

What do I have to do?

and second question:
I don´t need a permanent Bluetooth Connection to my mobile with Garmin Connect Mobile, do I?
  • Everything you have done is correct, but you need to enable Strava segments instead of Garmin Segments in Garmin Connect.

Then you should see a number next to the sync symbol in Garmin Connect (the two srrows).

Next all you should have to do is sync your 820
  • disconnected in Strava
    checked in Garmin
    reconnected in Strava

synced - everythin worked.

sometimes the easiest solution actually works :)
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 7 years ago
    Everything you have done is correct, but you need to enable Strava segments instead of Garmin Segments in Garmin Connect.

Then you should see a number next to the sync symbol in Garmin Connect (the two srrows).

Next all you should have to do is sync your 820

How and where do I do that?
    On 520 everything worked "out-the-box", on 820 I cannot get Strava segments no matter what.
  • Had the same issue with my new 820 all I did was go into strava starred a new segment and synced the 820, that is if everything is enabled on the 820.
  • Segments on Garmin but don't activate during ride

I've never used the 520, but on my 820, I did get all the Strava segments onto my Garmin. I went into training and enabled all segments (they appear in the UI on my device.)

However, every time I go on a ride, it doesn't actually let me know when I'm approaching a segment and when I complete it. From all the documentation, I was lead to believe that there's a countdown as you approach a segment and a screen where you can see your progress against your PR or goal. And then after you complete the segment, your result.

Am I missing something? I know I've actually done that segment because when I return from my ride, Strava lets me know how I did on those segments. But I never actually get that alert/data on my garmin 820 while riding.
  • How and where do I do that?
    On 520 everything worked "out-the-box", on 820 I cannot get Strava segments no matter what.

On your Garmin Connect page you should see on the Segments panel whether you are using Strava segments or Garmin segments. If you are using Garmin segments the bottom strip will be blue like all the rest. If you are using Strava segments it will be grey and have the Strava logo.

To change it click the gear icon and tell it to use Strava segments if you are on Garmin segments (the opposite to what you are using will appear as the option).

If that doesn't work just disconnect the two accounts and re-connect them. Then make sure you are using the segments you want and sync your 820.
  • Am I missing something? I know I've actually done that segment because when I return from my ride, Strava lets me know how I did on those segments. But I never actually get that alert/data on my garmin 820 while riding.

As far as I know segments only work when not following a course. Which isn't very good!

Cheers,
    Jamie
  • I think you are right. I tested a course and rode over a Strava segment I know I starred and didn't see or hear a notification. However, I did hear and see a strava notification later after I turned off the course. I think this is because the device treats a Strava segment like a loaded course so it can't run a Strava "course" at the some time as a regular course. I also heard that the 820 won't allow you to use a strava segment within another segment. ...I didn't star any segments within segments just for this reason. I heard it didn't work and didn't want to crash the device as it tried to figure it out.
  • Bummer.

Wow. Thanks, Jamie and Erich for sharing your knowledge on the matter.

That is incredibly surprising to hear that's the current implementation. My primary use case is to load a course and ride it - and along the way, see how I'm doing on the segments I've starred. If, indeed, the Strava segment is treated like "another course" and therefore can't handle the nesting, I'd say that's a significant architectural issue with how Strava Live Segments is implemented on Garmin.

Does it work this way using Garmin live segments, too? Or do I hold out hope that this issue gets added to the Garmin backlog somehow?
  • I don't believe it has ever been possible to follow a course and have segments at the same time on a Garmin.

The new Wahoo ELEMNT can do it though.