This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Map as Navigation Prompt

Former Member
Former Member
Hi,

I might have missed something here or not spotted it in the manual but is it possible to have the map pop up as the screen prompt when navigating a course loaded as a GPX file on the Edge 820? At the moment I just get text prompts in the bottom half of the screen which for the most part is fine but when two junctions are very close together (e.g. a left then immediate right) the prompts don't appear quickly enough.

My previous Edge 800 switched to the map screen with an arrow showing the junction as a prompt which I found a lot easier to follow and I'd like to be able to have the same on my new 820. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help

John
  • Same issue/question

I have the same "issue"; I loved the way this was done on my 810, i really dislike the text prompts. The text prompts don't come quick enough and don't give nearly a good enough indication of when to turn. Maybe in the USA it would be fine, but here in Switzerland, the streets are hardly ever well labeled. The one trip I made with the 820, i probably missed 10 turns. I want my old Garmin 810 turn-by-turn map pop up back. I'd settle for even basic arrows, and distance to turn...

Anyone have any suggestions? (Other than the unhelpful: "go back to your 810" ;) )
  • Same here. Generally happy with the device. But this is, coming down from a broken Edge 1000, verry enoying.
  • Same with all 820. We just have to wait for Garmin to correct this issue in a future release...
  • I have the same "issue"; I loved the way this was done on my 810, i really dislike the text prompts. The text prompts don't come quick enough and don't give nearly a good enough indication of when to turn. Maybe in the USA it would be fine, but here in Switzerland, the streets are hardly ever well labeled. The one trip I made with the 820, i probably missed 10 turns. I want my old Garmin 810 turn-by-turn map pop up back. I'd settle for even basic arrows, and distance to turn...

Anyone have any suggestions? (Other than the unhelpful: "go back to your 810" ;) )

+1 for this suggestion. Please bring back the map popup like in the 800 and 810.
  • Are you sure turn guidance is turned on?
  • if I want to see map view for directions i just switch to the map screen. in fact i usually stay on the map screen when im navigating a saved course. But ive found if I want to be on another data page, the pop up text direction are adequate and probably block less of the data page im on when they do pop up.

I might be misunderstanding but i kind of like how it is. ...but I never owned and edge 800 or 1000 so maybe I dont know what im missing
  • Progress

Does anyone know about the progress or solution on this? Really love the map prompts on my friends edge 1000. Bought my 820 on the basis off this and was hughly disapointed when I found out that the
    promps are just those little arrows on the bottom of the screen. Really thinking about returning my edge 820 and maybe go for an 1000. :(:(:(
  • I have the opposite problem. I want a text prompt at the bottom of the screen, but all I get are map screens that take over my home screen. How did you get the text prompts?