This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Getting courses over to Edge 820 via WiFi?

Anyone know how to transfer courses over to the 820 via WiFi? When travelling, I often want to load courses from other sites like MapMyRide or BikeMap or MTB Project which allow downloads of GPX files. In the past, I've had to bring a laptop along just to do this but was hoping since this unit has WiFi, I would be able to transfer a course from either my iPad or iPhone to the unit directly. Anyone done this or know how?

Thanks, Jan
  • For posterity (for anyone else that happens across this thread):

The process of getting courses onto my Edge Explore is way more convenient now than it was with my Edge 800 (for which USB was needed). Not sure why the instructions at ridewithgps are so convoluted even for devices with bluetooth, but importing courses wirelessly with Garmin Connect is simple.

I used an LG G7 Android phone:

Method 1 (GPX or TPX file, connect.garmin.com, Garmin Connect mobile app)
    • Create GPX or TPX file and save it to phone or computer.
    • Import GPX or TPX file at connect.garmin.com/modern/courses.
    • Using Garmin Connect mobile app, send course to GPS and sync over bluetooth.
    Method 2 (GPX file, phone file manager, Garmin Connect mobile app)
    • Create GPX file and save it to phone.
    • Browse to download folder on phone using built-in File Manager. Double-tap on GPX file and open it with Garmin Connect mobile app.
    • Follow Garmin Connect mobile app prompts to import it as a course.
    I plan routes with ridewithgps on a computer. I don't see a way to download GPX/TPX files with the mobile app (at least not on the free plan), so I use a browser to download from the website.

Alternatively, one can use something like dynamic.watch and routeCourse, though I'm not sure how I feel about entering my credentials into their site (some other options such as gimporter and Navmin are not yet compatible with the Edge Explore).
  • Hi This thread probably is about the Edge Explorer 820 as the 820 does not support corse from Garmin Connect to device via the web app.

The thread looks a bit old the options are

1- Use Strava. Just install on the IQ the app Strava Courses and from the IQ apps in the device just connect to strava and download any of your routes on Strava. This is my favorite method as I keep all may routes on Strava. You do not need a premium account for that. The free account is all you need.
    2- From Garmin connect: have your phone and device paired and then from the Garmin Connect (... More > Couses > Select Course) send the course to the device by opening the course and pressing the icon send to device. voila !

Cheers

Pedro
  • Wow. Thank you Garmin team without Garmin company. On holiday and you people totally bailed me out and I have strava courses going bluetooth to edge 820 through Garmin connect. Even cooler bike shop gave me a map of 20 popular routes. Just scan at QR code with phone and it comes up on strava to save as course to them download to garmin. Thank you thank you ladies and gentlemen.