This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 530 doesn't detect WIFI

Hi all,

I'll ask here before reaching out to garmin support.

My edge 530 stopped detecting WIFIs. It is either 'empty name' with failed connection or a row of <?>. It seems to wrongly encode names of WIFI. They are not in some unknown alphabet, just latin alphabet. There are multiple WIFI around me, it doesn't find ANY. It shows only one and either empty or with these symbols <?>

I don't have a video of my own, but it is basically the same as here

https://www.reddit.com/r/Garmin/comments/iz347e/garmin_edge_530_wifi_connection_issues/

It used to work fine, stopped working sometime ago (I haven't needed it), but I'd like to fix it. Manually entering name of the WIFI did nothing, still not connecting despite being literally 5 centimetres from the modem.

Anyone had any luck?

Thanks

• This also worked for me, thanks for the advice!

• Same issue. Setting 2.4 GHz security to WPA2-PSK from of WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK solved the problem. Thanks.

• Same issue, there are few networks around, but my Garmin constantly in Searching state and cannot find any of them. Sometimes it is able to find one network with broken unicode symbols, such as �. Also, it was able to connect few month ago to my network without any problem. Not sure what happened, but it definitely not router setup. It looks like this is firmware or even hardware issue.

I tried WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK and even WPA3-PSK. I tried different frequencies, and different bands (20MHZ, 20/40MHZ, 40MHZ), different encryption (TKIP, CCMP, CCMP256, GCMP, GCMP256, the last two only in WPA3-PSK mode). 

I also tried 9.24 beta firmware and rollback to 9.10 with reset - also no result. This is the best case scenario that i am able to achieve

• Yes, this is an issue Garmin seemed  to refuse to accept. They offered to replace my device, and I nearly did. But I took my old router with me on holiday, and was able to then connect my Edge 530. This told me that either my new wifi router was the problem, or something in my apartment for apartments around me was causing the issue.

I changed my router, and still had the same issue - but only when it was sending dual band signal of 2.4 and 5Ghz. As soon as I put it to send one signal, I could connect my Edge 530.

What is clear though, is that it is only doing this with my Edge 530. I have an Edge 820, and it had no problems connecting it to my first new router on two signal waves. So it's definitely a software issue in the Edge 530 that occured to me when I updated the software to version 8.0.

• I was able to fix the issue by disabling wifi on my router (Mikrotik). Somehow the router is able to crash WiFi module on 530 Edge. For those who has such problem, try to move your device to different location to check if it is able to find any other wifi hotspots. First image when my WiFi on my router was disabled, second image 1sec after i enable it back. It is weird because all other devices is able to connect to this WiFi without any problems

• The problem does seem to be 530 specific.  We just recently purchased an Edge 830 and it connects to wifi just fine.  It was able to detect our SSID as well as those of the near neighbors.  The 530 running the same 9.1 firmware doesn't find any networks

• I can confirm it. I bought my Edge 530 a year ago, and at that time there was no problem to connect to our wifi. Then I bought a Fenix 6X appr. 6 months ago, and again no problem.

Today I realized that wifi icon is flashing on Edge 530 and realized that it cannot connect to the wifi ssid which worked for so many months.

To be honest I dont know when it started, but I am still on fw  9.10, so it could happen at any time, even back when I updated to 9.10 from 8.20 or what. As I saw there were some with 830 who struggled with it after a sw update, see forums.garmin.com/.../1397095

Back to today…

As a try I checked on my Fenix 6x, and it still worked. Then I removed the ssid from 6x, and could re-add the same wifi network. So I removed the ssid from Edge 530, but could NOT re-add it.

I tried all the options you all listed and met all the strange unsecured networks with blank names and sometimes networks with  inversed question marks. What is really interesting was that when I put my 530 within a couple of cm’s to the router then I could suddenly see all the networks of my neighbours except for ours. Like as if our router had behaved an amplifier :-)

• A big big shame that Edge 530 handles WIFI networks in a totally different way than my Fenix 6X, my wife’s Venu 2s or one of my sons’ Fenix 5+.

I figured out how to make it able 530 to see and connect to our  wifi network. Separating 2.4 ghz and 5.0ghz and creating two SSIDs is not enough. Setting WPA2 for 2.4 ghz network is still jot enough. But if I set WPA2 for the separated 5.0ghz network, too, then Edge 530 can see the SSID of 2.4ghz.

Crazy, isnt it? I made multiple tests setting security protocols this way and that way, and I am 100% then in case of the combination of my 530 and our router it is the only way how 530 can see can wifi network of 2.4ghz.

The sad part of the story is that I had to ruin the setup of our wifi network for our PC, laptop, tablets and phones, because it had beeneffective to use 1 wifi network and all the devices had been able to switch automatically between 2.4 and 5.0 depending on their actual position in our house.

I guess it is not due to a different wifi module of 530, it must be some different coding in some of the firmwares/softwares of 530.

• As a byproduct I tried to check the release notes of all the public sw versions. Of course, Garmin does NOT provide it, just for some older versions. (Until 5.00)

Since then can find only the change logs of the beta versions gathered and listed in one place, but the betas do not cover everyt changes made in the public version.

As an example of that  I found that in sw 7.10 Garmin modified something related to Wi-Fi Certificates. I am not good at this field, can it be really related to our problems with wpa2?

“Firmware version 7.10 for the Edge 530 is now available. This update can be downloaded through Garmin Express or Garmin Connect Mobile.

This is now Live (100%) as of 1:00pm CST (02/09/2021)

530-SW-710.zip

Changes made from 7.00 to 7.10:

• Fixed issue preventing Wi-Fi certificates from being acquired.“