This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Courses

Ok, any help will be gratefully received.  

My friend created a route the other day with RWGPS.  Did the usual, pinned it, made it an active activity in Dynamic watch web and then downloaded to the the 530.  This worked perfectly but then when I started the course, what a nightmare.  Literally, every 2 minutes the screen flashed up with an obvious course direction.  Additionally, because I have audio prompts on ( which is excellent normally) I was announced with the word "dot".   In an attempt to reduce this problem, I turned the Nivigation prompts to text only . Unfortunately, this populated the bottom with a black banner every 2 minutes (but at least I could just see the map) the "dot" announcement continued.   

Got to the cafe stop, paused and turned off.  When I turned the the 530 back on, I was met with course can only create so many points? But then, when I started the black banner now contained course changes (which is what I expected from the start).  I turned off the audio prompts.

I should have checked the course, because he had basically put hundreds of course dots on the route.  I blame the fact he hasn't done a course before.  But unsure to why, it caused this much of an interference in the routing?

I started using RWGPS when I had a Bolt and required cue cards.  But I've never had any problem like this before.  

Any advice to what to set the 530 to?  If the route has cue cards, do I turn turn guidance and off course warnings off? 

Any ideas what "course points" and "always display" mean?

Thanks

• Found it, mate!  Looks alright.  Only issue for me, is that it's an app rather than a widget.  And therefore, limited to having to stop the activity, if another course/route was wanted to be used. 

Had this a few times where I've been half way through a route and planned a change whilst at a stop, unfortunately, the ride has to be stopped. 

Like I mentioned in the above post, the widget does away with the limitation of the connectiq app

• This will let you download a rwgps route by number while recording a ride.

apps.garmin.com/.../6b770e92-2cc6-437e-8de2-0efae208a455

• Can you provide the link to the rwgps route?

"Turn guidance" -> let the unit calculate turn instructions. This is not related to course points.

"Course points" -> basic turn instructions included in a fit or tcx file. These are really for units that don't use maps.

"Always display" -> display the track when it isn't being used for navigation.

• Yes, as deckys says, we (https://dynamic.watch that is) have an unreleased beta widget version of routeCourse available for Premium users, so please contact us at [email protected] if you would like to try it.

• I'm guessing, your description for course points is really for units that don't use maps. Yet the 530 does, so,  what use is activating this other than providing custom cues, yes? 

• Course points are the only way one can get turn instructions on units that don't use maps.

For units that use maps, course points will work if your route isn't using roads that are on the device map.

I tend to use course points even when the unit can use turn guidance since they serve as a backup to the instructions calculated by turn guidance.

And, as you said, you can use course points for custom items (like food stops).

===============================

The course looks normal (the course points are at the turns).

There is one stretch a little after 31 miles where the name of the road changes frequently. RWGPS puts course points at each of the name changes.

• "I should have checked the course, because he had basically put hundreds of course dots on the route.  I blame the fact he hasn't done a course before.  But unsure to why, it caused this much of an interference in the routing?'

By "course dots", I'm assuming you mean the white circles (RWGPS calls them "control points". Those don't get included in the file that gets downloaded to the Garmin (they only exist on the RWGPS website). That means they can't interfere with routing.

It not ideal to have too many of them because it makes the route harder to edit.

• Yes, it's my understanding that control points don't ordinarily elicit this behaviour.  But the screen came on at every one of them control points, as well as the aforementioned, Audible "Dot"

I've no idea what he did with it, but it did pique my interest into what these settings are within the device. 

Thanks for the help, buddy!!

• Rwgps doesn't write them to the files it exports.

There are ways of getting route data from rwgps that might include the control points.

The problem isn't that there's too many of them. It's that they are there at all.

Nearly every rwpgs route has control points (even if it's not so many of them).

Try downloading the file directly from rwgps. Or use rwgps's (or my) app.