This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sensors failing to connect / dropping connection

Been using a 520 for the past 3 weeks or so, before that an 800 and before that a 705.

My 800 i've had no issues with, all sensors working fine.
Trying to use the same sensors with the 520 and it does find them and pairs but the next ride it won't find them, if it does find them they could well drop connection randomly during a ride. I've changed the batteries on some of these sensors to see if that would make a difference, it has not.

Senors:

iPhone 6+
Garmin HRM
Stages Power Meter
Garmin Speed sensor
Garmin Cadence sensor.

I've also noticed the GPS takes nearly double the time the 800 did to find a signal when powered on.
  • Can using both the Garmin cadence sensor and the Stages power meter create a conflict, given that the Stages also reports cadence?
  • Having multiple sensors sending information of the same type should not cause a problem as the Edge has a set of inbuilt rules on the order of precedence to use.

The fact that the Edge will not find previously paired sensors on the next ride would imply that something is wrong with the settings file.

You may need to do a hard reset and rebuild the settings.

Prompted non-vol clear

• Turn device off
    • Hold the Down key while powering on the device
    • Continue holding the down key until the “Factory Reset” prompt appears
    • Select OK to clear

Non-prompted Non-Vol Clear - Clears NV and deletes all FIT files including Activities, Courses, Workouts.

• Turn device off
    • Hold Lap/Reset and Start/Stop
    • Press and release the power button
    • Continue to hold only Lap/Reset and Start/Stop
    • Release Lap/Reset and Start/Stop when the Garmin Logo is cleared
    • The unit will restart and clear non-vol
  • ECONPROF - I should have been clear that I have multiple bikes with sensors spread across them, the bike with the power meter does not have a cadence sensor. :)

Alan - Thank you, I will try that and keep an eye on things.
  • wrt to cadence sensors, I believe there is a preset hierarchy where it will take the data from the PM before that of a cadence sensor.
    I took the magnet off my crank so it doesn't register on the GSC10 even though the head unit is still set for the combined sensor and it still picks up the data from my PM ok.
  • Are these instructions good for the 520 as well? I'm askign becasue I tried them myself and when I relayed them to Garmin customer support they didn't seem to think these were correct for the 520 (not that I've been impressed with Garmin tech support for this--admittedly very new--model).

Anyway, there is also a Factory Reset option in the Settings menu and that's what I've also used to try to clear up my own failure-to-detect-sensor problems (alas, to no avail)

My conclusion thus far: I think the 520 has quite a few firmware issues to iron out

Having multiple sensors sending information of the same type should not cause a problem as the Edge has a set of inbuilt rules on the order of precedence to use.

The fact that the Edge will not find previously paired sensors on the next ride would imply that something is wrong with the settings file.

You may need to do a hard reset and rebuild the settings.

Prompted non-vol clear

• Turn device off
    • Hold the Down key while powering on the device
    • Continue holding the down key until the “Factory Reset” prompt appears
    • Select OK to clear

Non-prompted Non-Vol Clear - Clears NV and deletes all FIT files including Activities, Courses, Workouts.

• Turn device off
    • Hold Lap/Reset and Start/Stop
    • Press and release the power button
    • Continue to hold only Lap/Reset and Start/Stop
    • Release Lap/Reset and Start/Stop when the Garmin Logo is cleared
    • The unit will restart and clear non-vol
  • They are for the 520.

The other Edge models (510, 810 and 1000) don't have a down key.

I just tried them both.

Prompted non-vol clear works as described.

Non-promoted. Step 5 is not correct in that the logo does not appear to clear, but if you hold the buttons in for 10 seconds and then let go it does do a reset.
  • Thanks for confirming. The knowledge level here seems higher than what I got from my phone calls with Garmin.