This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Compatible sensors

Hi,

I got my new Edge 520 a couple of days ago. I got the head unit only as I already own what I thought would be compatible sensors - I know I should have checked - a Wahoo Tickr HR strap and Garmin GSC-10 speed/cadence sensor. I have two of these on different bikes.

Due to other things, I have not been able to ride with the Edge 520 yet and have only been to set it up and play with it.

Firstly, the Tickr won't connect at all. I saw in another thread that others were having problems. Wahoo support have confirmed there are issues. The Tickr works fine with my old Edge 510, Vivoactive, iPhone etc so the issue seems to be with the Edge 520. I tried with anothe Garmin HR strap and that worked perfectly.

On another forum, I have read that there are issues with the GSC-10 too. My Edge 520 sees and looks like it paired with both of them but as I haven't been able to ride out yet, I don't know what to expect. Anyone using the GSC-10 successfully with Sdge 520?

It sounds like I will be selling things on eBay to fund replacement sensors that have a chance of working with my new Edge 520. Either that or stick with the Edge 510 and live with its random crashes, poor display quality and lack of basemap support.
  • That's strange, because my Tickr-X has worked fine with the 520 (only done 4 rides, but all ok). It can't use it for cadence (only Wahoo fitness app seems to do that). I'm also using the Wahoo Ant+/BTLE SC sensor (on one bike), and that is fine too. In fact, if I have any issues with either sensor it's on the BTLE side on my phone, where it loses connection and does not reconnect (whether I'm using the Wahoo or Strava apps), but that may just be my phone.
  • Hi Hulahoopian,

According to Wahoo support they have had reports of the Tickr not working with some Edge 1000's. The fix was to use a Tickr X or Tickr Run.

It seems it is just the plain vanilla Tickr that has issues with Garmin products; first the Edge 1000 and now Edge 520 :-(
  • That sucks, I have the 520 on order and the straps I have are the Garmin HR-Run which is not compatible since it has the HR 63 problems and the generic Wahoo Tickr. I was going to use the Tickr until Garmin fixes the HR-Run problem but now it looks like the Tickr won't work.
  • I just purchased my 520 and haven't had a ride with it yet, but I had zero problems pairing up two bikes worth of sensors:

GSC10
    Stages Power Meter
    Garmin HRM (rigid strap)
    Wahoo TICKR

As a former 510 owner, so far I'm very pleased with the 520. Sensors, base maps, courses/routing, call/txt notifications and transferring my totals from the 510 have worked great.

Riding tomorrow morning; we'll see how it goes.
  • Hi Hulahoopian,

According to Wahoo support they have had reports of the Tickr not working with some Edge 1000's. The fix was to use a Tickr X or Tickr Run.

It seems it is just the plain vanilla Tickr that has issues with Garmin products; first the Edge 1000 and now Edge 520 :-(

Wahoo support have emailed me to say they have no idea why some Tickrs have issues with Edge 1000 and 520, but they say all Tickr Run and Tickr X seem to be OK. They have offered me a voucher for the price difference to upgrade my Tickr to a Run or an X. I am happy with this as they are trying to help me overcome a problem which is probably Garmin's and not theirs. Possibly :-)
  • I just purchased my 520 and haven't had a ride with it yet, but I had zero problems pairing up two bikes worth of sensors:

GSC10
    Stages Power Meter
    Garmin HRM (rigid strap)
    Wahoo TICKR

As a former 510 owner, so far I'm very pleased with the 520. Sensors, base maps, courses/routing, call/txt notifications and transferring my totals from the 510 have worked great.

Riding tomorrow morning; we'll see how it goes.

I did my first ride with my Edge 520 tonight. I didn't bother with the GSC10 and used my Garmin HR strap (no issues there!). I have replaced the default basemap with a more detailed one. I used a course created on RidewithGPS which I then imported into Bikeroutetoaster and re-exported it with the course point warnings - (I am too tight to subscribe to RWGPS to get this facility) - I didn't see any problems with following the course and got the course point warnings.

Only problem I encountered was loss of connection to my Edge remote part way through the ride. I restarted the unit and it picked it back up. No different to my 510 in that respect :-)
  • paired but won't connect

I'm having this issue also.

The TICKR worked with the Garmin 810, but won't work with the 520. Specifically it will pair in the connection screen, but it won't connect and send data.

I hope Garmin figures this out because I don't think it's an issue with the TICKR (worked with multiple 810's + bluetooth devices).