This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Edge 520 will not upload rides - at my wit's end

I have been having an occasional issue with my Garmin 520 not syncing rides with Garmin Connect for awhile now. It only happened once in a while, but recently its happening most of the time. I was recently away on vacation, and could not get rides uploaded. We had 3 laptops between the people there but all of them were "work" laptops which prohibit connecting USB devices so I was unable to upload rides for several days until I got home.

To remedy this, I have tried nearly everything. Phone software up to date. Garmin Connect up to date. Garmin Edge 520 software up to date. Restart the iPhone 7. Restart the Garmin 520. Uninstall and reinstall Garmin Connect. Delete rides around the ride that won't upload. Create and save some new fake rides (those sync immediately without even asking). I even tried syncing to Garmin Connect on a different device. If I ever get to the point where I have to manually sync (select Upload Ride on the 520), the ride will never upload. No matter what I do, it will start to upload, the green dot appears on the 520, but then it makes the circle rapidly, and that's when I know I am doomed -> Upload Failed after about 30 seconds.

I am about to try some drastic measures. I am going to remove all the rides and courses, save off my profile info and do a device reset. Seems crazy but I don't know what else to do.

Gary

• Update: I did a factory reset, created brand new profiles, removed all existing rides, and I am still having the exact same problem. I cannot upload rides to my phone. I have tried connecting to a different iPhone and an iPad. Same problem. I am using software version 13.20. Is it possible to downgrade to see if that is what is causing it?

• Hi,

13.20 has been around for quite a while, so it’s unlikely to be the cause of your problem. When pairing your Edge to a phone, it’s important to initiate the process from the Edge, not the phone.

Pairing Your Smartphone

You could also try to manually upload your files to your GC account via a USB connection to a computer to see if it’s a corrupted file issue.

• As mentioned by  I would try the manual upload to see if you've got a corrupt fit file.

How Do I Manually Upload an Activity I Recorded to Garmin Connect?

If you get any message other than Import Complete, then there is a problem with the file. It is likely corrupt. Attach it to this thread. We can take a look to see if it is repairable.

• Zip the file, then in a reply post Insert >> Image/video/file >> click Upload >> browse for file >> OK.
    • Or upload the fit file to a file sharing service, such as OneDriveGoogle DriveDropbox, etc., make the file public, then paste a link to the file in your post.
  • I don't think the files are corrupt. They upload flawlessly via a wired connection on Garmin Express via my PC. I just contacted Garmin Support via chat over this issue, and it MAY be resolved. The tech had me remove the Activities folder. Before I did the factory reset, I removed all the FIT ride files in the Activities folder. But I left the folder intact. Just now, I removed the folder itself, and rebooted. The folder was recreated. I deleted my activity on Garmin Connect, and copied the fit file to the Activities folder. I manually uploaded the file to my phone via Garmin Connect and it uploaded wirelessly this time. I'll know more after a few rides to see if this has been completely resolved. But this is a good sign. I tried to do this very thing before removing the folder and it didn't work.

• Thanks for posting that you've fixed it. I don't think that fix has been reported before now.

• Update: The problem is still there. I did a trainer ride today and it synced no problem. Then I did a 20 mile IRL ride and the same problem is occurring. Just about ready to punt here and get a  Wahoo or Hammerhead. There is only so much time I can waste on this problem.

• Gary, Try removing the Garmin Connect App from your phone and install an earlier version.  I had a similar problem which the Garmin techs were unable to to resolve and it basically boiled down to the fact that my phone didn't play well with the newer version.  I currently run version 4.29 and everything works perfectly.  You can search this forum using "Revert" "4.29" or "Older Version" and you'll find the thread.  If you do this be sure to set your phone and this app so that it will not automatically update. If you don't it will just go ahead and updated automatically and you'll be right back where you started.

Mike

• Further update: Eventually my Garmin shut off, and when it came back on the ride synced wirelessly. Prior to all these other steps I detailed this NEVER worked. So that is something I guess.

I did a search for revert 4.29. I found some threads, but nothing detailing how it's done. I have an iPhone 7.

Thanks.

Gary

• I started having this same problem a week ago and it was driving me crazy.  I eventually figured out that I need to take the extra step of going to the course in the Connect phone app, clicking on the menu on the upper right, and choosing "send to device."

I don't remember ever having to do this extra step before, previously any courses on my phone app synced with the 520 automatically.

Hope this helps you or someone else.

• Hi Gary,

I don't think an app rollback is possible with iOS, only Android.