This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Accidentally formatted my garmin edge 520 in "ExFAT", but now I reformed in a WINDOWS on FAT32

hello friends, finished, accidentally formatted my garmin edge 520 in "ExFAT", I have the backup of all files, but now I reformed in a WINDOWS on FAT32 and even then he doesn't want to boot. It stops at the "Loading profiles" screen ...

Can someone help me please !! Much obliged

• Had the same issue on 810 edge. I reformatted using the disk utility on my Mac which recognised un-initialised disks. I selected Erase - don't worry about a name / MS-DOS (EX FAT) for the file format... and most importantly Master Boot Record for the partition scheme. It takes a couple of mins, when done... I unplugged / plugged - Garmin Express picked it up and rebuilt the files/updated the software in seconds.

It took a lot of rooting around to find this out, I was sweating for a good while that I had created an expensive USB drive!

Good luck. 

• Hello! whatever I try fails !! Can you describe the process? unfortunately i don't understand what to do! Thanks

• It’s been a while since I sorted this. I have since switched device.

from memory I plugged the garmin to my Mac via USB lead

Opened  the disk utility feature.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/how-format-drive-for-mac-3541758/

selected the garmin on the left hand list of drives.

selected Erase at top, MS Dos (fat32) for the format

Essential to select ‘Master Boot Record’ for partition scheme

run it... it will wipe the garmin and format the device

then unplug garmin and switch off / on, plug back in and open garmin express and update the software, it should then upload the firmware from scratch.

good luck!

• So I crashed on my 510 and ruined the screen so unusable.  I also punched it to release a bit of my rage (it was a weak little crash almost identical to the one that was the demise of my 500).  So i ordered a used screen out of China.  Installed it and the screen worked great but the 510 would not save nor delete rides. It would not delete old rides etc.  I tried a master reset.  Problem still was there.  

Did the above reformat and it is good as new (after setting it all back up again) 

Thank you!

• Brilliant! Both the GPS rage and the fix!

• Works! In newer versions of MacOS you need to select "View/ Show all devices" as it's the actual device you need to erase and choose partition scheme for.