Power Meter and Smart Trainer connected same time

Hi

I have two questions regarding the use of a power meter with a smart trainer:

1) I own a Direto smart trainer, in my tri bike I also have a Power2Max PM. I have them both paired to the 520, and when I do a workout, the two are connected. Which source of power is the Edge showing? Power readings from the power meter o from the smart trainer? I think that´s fom the PM.I can connect the smart trainer as individual sensors also (Power, Vel/Cadence, etc), but I have it configured as smart trainer.

2) When doing a workout with wattage targes and both are connected, what source of power does the Edge use? If it uses the power meter, does it control the resistance from the trainer in order to achieve that target? or it uses the power readings from the trainer itself?

Thank in advance

Horacio

Parents
  • #1: it should give you a message which power meter sensor wants to use. "Multiple pm sensors found , wanna switch from A to B" or similar message.  The Edge can show only one power, so depends on selection. The smart trainer sensor pairing needs for controlling (and data distribution also, but if a different pm is activated, thats power data will be shown, cad and spd will come from smart trainer)

#2 Question, what kind of software do you use for workouts? Garmin inbuilt workout or Zwift or similar?

With Garmin only you control the smart trainer resistance by its own power meter sensor, with Zwift or TR you can do a "power match", with an additional power meter you can "overwrite" the smart trainer power.

But if You have Direto, You dont need to use the P2M, the Direto is same accurate as P2M, just You must calibrate the trainer every week after 10mins warmup with the Elite app for perfect meausuring (without it the Direto could overreport the power even +50watts offset). If You wanna make comparison for both power, i can give You tips, but normally these are within 1-2watts.

• #1: it should give you a message which power meter sensor wants to use. "Multiple pm sensors found , wanna switch from A to B" or similar message.  The Edge can show only one power, so depends on selection. The smart trainer sensor pairing needs for controlling (and data distribution also, but if a different pm is activated, thats power data will be shown, cad and spd will come from smart trainer)

#2 Question, what kind of software do you use for workouts? Garmin inbuilt workout or Zwift or similar?

With Garmin only you control the smart trainer resistance by its own power meter sensor, with Zwift or TR you can do a "power match", with an additional power meter you can "overwrite" the smart trainer power.

But if You have Direto, You dont need to use the P2M, the Direto is same accurate as P2M, just You must calibrate the trainer every week after 10mins warmup with the Elite app for perfect meausuring (without it the Direto could overreport the power even +50watts offset). If You wanna make comparison for both power, i can give You tips, but normally these are within 1-2watts.

Children